PDA

View Full Version : Turn your PC into a Mac - Funny

estoyloco
15th August 2004, 09:58 AM
I'mnot sure if this has been posted before bu a quick scim over the date range yielded no results.. unless im partially blind..

Anyways

Detailed instructions on how to convert - with pics (http://desktops.engadget.com/entry/8828351836181248/)

I did it and was laughing my head off...

The dock was pretty cool and i grabbed a whole bunch of OSX icons so i had safari,mail, finder etc. IT slowed down my computer tho, and it wasmaking my interface play funny buggers on me..

If you have a powerful PCtho, im sure it will run smoothly...

elvis
15th August 2004, 10:56 AM
... or you could just buy a Mac for real.

estoyloco
15th August 2004, 11:22 AM
Nah, why buy a mac... WinTel machines are much better........

Ozi
15th August 2004, 12:33 PM
Thats possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard&#33; <_< get behind me, satan&#33; :lol:

I hope you are joking with that comment, cos otherwise you are just asking to be "cyber-lynched&#33;" LMAO

Lucas
15th August 2004, 12:58 PM
Is there skins etc to make my OS X look like windows 98? What if I miss it. hehhehheh I don&#39;t think so. I feel sorry for that guy we should raise some money and buy him an eMac.

estoyloco
15th August 2004, 01:18 PM
Hehehehe im LMAO...

Nah Wintel machines arefar supeior... They crash only once an hour and you can run maybe 2 programs similtaniously for an increse to 2 crahses an hour...

I&#39;m saving up to buy a G5, just sold my 17" 1.5GHZ PB a few weeks ago...... Using a PC in the meantime.... Looks like i will be waitng a while tho...

In the meantime tho, i&#39;ve been cruising the WinTel Forums to find out about this AMD 64 Vs P4 HT business.. i have to build a PC for my brother in LAW and can built a pretty decent setup for around &#036;600-700.

Does anyone know anything about this and can they point mein the right direction...???

Doesnt need it for games.. its used SOLELY as a STOCKS/OPTIONS TRADING machine...

plus he would play some MP3&#39;s and load up some 4MP photos...

Can you tell me which processor is better.. AMD seems to be cheaper..

3GHZ p4 is &#036;320

AMD 64 3GHZ is like &#036;239

Cheers...

sillydog701
15th August 2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Aug 15 2004, 11:22 AM
Nah, why buy a mac... WinTel machines are much better........
Agree :)

Quamen
15th August 2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Aug 15 2004, 01:18 PM
In the meantime tho, i&#39;ve been cruising the WinTel Forums to find out about this AMD 64 Vs P4 HT business.. i have to build a PC for my brother in LAW and can built a pretty decent setup for around &#036;600-700.

Does anyone know anything about this and can they point mein the right direction...???

Doesnt need it for games.. its used SOLELY as a STOCKS/OPTIONS TRADING machine...

plus he would play some MP3&#39;s and load up some 4MP photos...

Can you tell me which processor is better.. AMD seems to be cheaper..

3GHZ p4 is &#036;320

AMD 64 3GHZ is like &#036;239

Cheers...
Hey man. I know a bit about them. For what your brother in law wants to do it shouldn&#39;t make too much difference which processor you go with. Both will perform quite well. Depending on when he needs to have the machine set up, it might pay to wait a month or two. PC hardware is going through a serious upgrade cycle at the moment. There&#39;s cpu socket changes, pci-e being introduced and ddr2 starting to show up. So if you wanted to make the machine more upgradeable in the future, then it might pay to wait and see how all of the new PC tech settles.

If you want a good place for PC tech, head on over to the forums at atomicmpc (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au) and the guys there will flood you with all the tech info you need.

One thing you might want to look into is a nice graphics card for your brother in law, so that he can run 2 or three screens. It&#39;s really handy when doing stocks etc. You can have your graphs up on one screen for technical analysis and your fundamental details on another screen. Makes doing stock research a lot easier.

The best thing is you don&#39;t need to have a top of the line card to achieve this, a 9600xt will do it fine. There are some other real nice cards out there, mmmmmm quad head cards. But I think 4 screens would be overkill unless he&#39;s really into his shares.

Also I&#39;d make sure you get at least 512mb memory minimum. Probably a gig, especially if he plans on having lots of charts opten at the same time.

Byrd
16th August 2004, 06:16 PM
If you&#39;re looking at upgrading a PC now, I wouldn&#39;t. As Quamen said, there are too many new technologies being released in the final quarter of this year, such as Socket 939 for AMD64, PCI express, SLI graphics support, DDR2 memory ... and so on.

Back on topic, isn&#39;t the Aqua theme the most popular interface for Linux boxes? Seems kind of funny, why not a Mac? For Windows XP users looking for a bit of this, the hacked version of Style XP works well, and it&#39;s fast (for once).

JB