PDA

View Full Version : restoring my data on a new mac from my old one

Antonino Giglio
9th August 2011, 11:47 AM
hi guys,

i've restored my data from my old imac to my new (2nd hand) macbook pro.

but there are a couple of things that i cannot understand.

the fisrt is that i setup the macbook with italian language but after the backup few things are in english like the time

the second thing is that my macbook pro it is still called antonino giglio imac...

why and what can i do to modify that?

thank you!!!!

NathR32
9th August 2011, 11:53 AM
For the first, go to System Preferences -> Date & Time -> Open Language & Text... and make sure Italiano is at the top of the list. If it is already there, I'm not sure why that is happening.

Secondly, go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer Name.

Antonino Giglio
10th August 2011, 10:21 AM
For the first, go to System Preferences -> Date & Time -> Open Language & Text... and make sure Italiano is at the top of the list. If it is already there, I'm not sure why that is happening.

Thank you very much Nath!!! :) Fixed the computer name but the day still appears in english... (?)

Antonino Giglio
13th August 2011, 10:02 PM

One more thing.. I've noticed that on the top bar the user name is correct, "Tony Giglio" but in Users the name of the home folder is "antoninogiglio" which is the name of the old backup folder... any idea why and how do I correct it? hanks!!!!

Currawong
15th August 2011, 09:45 AM
The name of your home folder will always be your short name. You cannot change that without breaking your system.

For the language of the day, try the other tabs in the "Language and Text" options.

Antonino Giglio
16th August 2011, 04:14 PM
The name of your home folder will always be your short name. You cannot change that without breaking your system.

For the language of the day, try the other tabs in the "Language and Text" options.

the issue is that my new home folder on the macbook should be called "tonygiglio" and not "antoninogiglio" as "antonino giglio" was my name on the old imac while "tony giglio" is my name on the macbook, but after i did the backup from the old imac now the home folder is called "antoninogiglio" while my username is still "tony giglio"
i'm confused....

Currawong
16th August 2011, 08:22 PM
You could create a new account with the short name you want and copy over all the data. It would require a bit of trickery though due to permissions, but it isn't too hard to do.

Antonino Giglio
23rd August 2011, 02:10 PM
You could create a new account with the short name you want and copy over all the data. It would require a bit of trickery though due to permissions, but it isn't too hard to do.

but the wird thing is that my account is already called tony giglio, while the home folder has a different name, that one of the old backup from the old imac. i'm wandering why.. can you explain me? thanx!!! :)