PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tom Tom app

Mel7
7th August 2011, 04:33 PM
Hi all. Apologies if there is a thread about this already, but I had a quick look and couldn't find anything. I have a few questions about the Tomtom app:

Do you need to be connected to 3G to use it? If so, I would imagine that it would chew up lots of data

Is it world wide, or do you need to buy maps for each country? I'm going to NZ for work in a couple of weeks. Having never been there before, the thought of a navigation system appeals greatly

Is the car kit any good and is it suitable for iPhone 4?

I have a Navman already, but the idea of a more portable unit sounds good. If I have to purchase maps for my Navman anyway (at $129), the Tomtom app is priced competitively.

Comments welcome

davemc
7th August 2011, 04:42 PM
I can answer 2 of your questions as I do not have the car kit.

It uses 3G if you use google search and other features that go online like traffic. It should not use 3g otherwise, you can take your sim out to be sure :).
You buy a map per country with Tomtom

iGobbleoff
7th August 2011, 04:42 PM
Don't need 3G
Need maps for each
Don't know, but it helps with GPS signal apparently.

entropy
7th August 2011, 05:05 PM
Being a person that travels to remote areas without even edge or GPRS coverage, let alone 3G, I can assure you you do not need a 3G connection. Only if you use google search to try and find something. if you are using the normal process for setting a destination it is already in the map that is part of the package (so you need an NZ map).

I have the tomtom car kit, but only a 3G and 3GS iphone. The 3G really needs the GPS boost from the car kit as its performance is glacial, so finding exactly where you are as quickly as possible is definitely helpful (especially if there are lots of turns!). The 3GS, while faster, probably still benefits as well. From what I can gather the iphone 4 can find where it is a lot quicker, so the benefit of the car kit may not be as great. It also doesn't fit as well as a 3GS, and needs a little spacer between the cradle and the iphone 4 (it now comes with the kit I believe). if you are not connecting the kit to the car stereo, the kit is also good in that it has a useful speaker and can be used as a handsfree via bluetooth.

But then there is the soon to arrive iphone 5 which may have a different form factor and may not fit the tomtom car kit at all. Also in ours the giggy plug fell apart and had to be glued back together (two years of use), and the sound out plug mostly only comes out of one channel, unless the cable is jiggled and held in a particular angle. in the end we find it easier just to use the headphone socket.

If it was me and I had an iphone 4 and I wanted to connect the stereo to play music I would consider an el cheapo windscreen mount to make it easy for the iphone 4 to find the GPS satellite, and an auxillary cable for the headphone socket to the car stereo, and a giggy plug charger (the app sucks the juice out of your battery quite quickly). As a backup in case the rental car does not have an aux in socket you can try a universal fm transmitter (it also works through the headphone socket) but the sound quality is definitely lower that way.

Of course you could also just get the NZ maps for your navman, but then you have something else to take with you.

Mel7
7th August 2011, 05:12 PM
Sincere thanks everyone - especially entropy - for the advice. Very helpful. I think I'll go ahead and buy the tomtom app for my iphone but perhaps give the NZ map a miss. I'm only going from Auckland to Tauranga on this trip, which I understand is fairly simple.

Thanks again

mmulhern
7th August 2011, 08:49 PM
I can't recommend the TomTom app enough for day-to-day driving, but if you want a free app with downloaded maps look at Navfree AU & NZ, especially in light of your intend drive in New Zealand.

I use a windshield mount I got from eBay, along with a power adapter for the lighter socket so I don't have to worry about the battery running down.

Mounted to the windshield I've never had any reception problems while driving.

Mel7
9th August 2011, 08:39 AM
if you want a free app with downloaded maps look at Navfree AU & NZ
Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out