PDA

View Full Version : Apple to kill off Magic Mouse??

sleek881
5th August 2011, 02:39 PM
There are rumours or reports that Apple is about to end the Magic Mouse and just focus on the Magic Trackpad.
Do you think this will happen, I hope not.

End of Magic Mouse (http://www.cultofmac.com/hope-you-like-trackpads-because-apple-is-killing-off-the-magic-mouse-exclusive/107643)

euphospug
5th August 2011, 02:45 PM
nope:

The Magic Mouse Is Resurrected With A New Part Number… And May Be Better Than Ever | Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/the-magic-mouse-is-resurrected-with-a-new-part-number-and-may-be-better-than-ever/107717)

sleek881
5th August 2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah I just saw that, improvement to the Magic Mouse.

I wonder what that could be.

MrJesseRoss
5th August 2011, 02:55 PM
I posted this a few weeks back in another thread:

I get the feeling that the Magic Mouse is considered by Apple to be a bridging product just to ease people into the new way of doing things, and won't be surprised if within the next year they kill it off completely in favour of the Magic Trackpad.

Mice are so 1995. :p

People have been losing their shit on Macrumors forum about this, crying about how they need the accuracy of a mouse to do what they need to do. Especially gamers. I don't think Apple will drop support for mice altogether. They'll just stop making their own and you can keep using your sweet Logitech mouse with the 15 buttons if you so wish.

Do people really like gestures on the Magic Mouse anyway? It looks a little clumsy to me, though I haven't ever used one for a reasonable period of time to really know. All I know is that I like the Magic Trackpad and swiping around the place. It feels a lot more fluid to me. I won't miss the mouse if it's gone.

euphospug
5th August 2011, 03:09 PM
well I tell you after yeah in graphic design a mouse (for me) is essential for photoshop retouching, accurate bezier points in Illustrator, two handed editing in InDesign - one hand on mouse, one on keyboard. Trackpads just don't cut-it.

I don't use a mouse for multi-touch gestures.

dotnet
5th August 2011, 03:38 PM
I wonder why there is no iPhone optical mouse app. All the elements are there. There are numerous apps using the iPhone as trackpad or similar input device, and there are apps using the LED light/camera combination for things like heart rate monitoring. I wonder whether the phone would make a good optical mouse with built-in multi-touch pad. A quick check with the Camera app suggests that this might actually work...

Cheers
Steffen.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

well I tell you after yeah in graphic design a mouse (for me) is essential for photoshop retouching, accurate bezier points in Illustrator, two handed editing in InDesign - one hand on mouse, one on keyboard. Trackpads just don't cut-it.

I've heard that before, sort of. The tablet/stylus was essential for PhotoShop retouching, accurate Bezier points…, mice just don't cut it.

Cheers
Steffen.

the8thark
5th August 2011, 04:16 PM
People have been losing their shit on Macrumors forum about this, crying about how they need the accuracy of a mouse to do what they need to do. Especially gamers. I don't think Apple will drop support for mice altogether. They'll just stop making their own and you can keep using your sweet Logitech mouse with the 15 buttons if you so wish.
People have been crying for a reason. Not everyone wants a mouse with 15 buttons. Some people like myself like their sleek few button mouses. And I really like the Magic Mouse. I use the trackpad for most things and the mouse for gaming and a few specific applications.

A lot of people will be sad if Apple no longer sells a mouse. And Apple in this case will cater to the majority. And not the minority which you fit into. And I'm glad for this.

though I haven't ever used one for a reasonable period of time to really know
Go use it then make up your mind. Hard to complain about a product you've never properly used. Use it then you will know. Or quit complaining.

MrJesseRoss
5th August 2011, 04:50 PM
Go use it then make up your mind. Hard to complain about a product you've never properly used. Use it then you will know. Or quit complaining.

Sorry, where am I complaining? I said it looks clumsy. Reading comprehension. It's a good thing.

decryption
5th August 2011, 05:41 PM
The Magic Mouse is shit. The multi-touch surface on the top makes it impossible to use with Google Maps or anything that requires vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Magic Trackpad is cool though (I don't use one full-time however).

As long a I can plug in a USB mouse, all is well. Apple haven't made a good mouse since the mid-90s anyways.

5th August 2011, 06:20 PM
The Magic Mouse is shit. The multi-touch surface on the top makes it impossible to use with Google Maps or anything that requires vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Magic Trackpad is cool though (I don't use one full-time however).

As long a I can plug in a USB mouse, all is well. Apple haven't made a good mouse since the mid-90s anyways.

Not to mention constant 'mistakes'. A finger spasm later and you've 'swiped' back five sites ago in your browsing history, or flipped to another space.

Having said that, wouldn't one just incur the same difficulties with a trackpad?

The_Hawk
5th August 2011, 06:52 PM
/me strokes his Logitech G5...

I'm still using my original G5 and love it, I can see the benefits of the trackpad and do miss my gestures when I'm running in clamshell mode at home. At work or on the road I have a generic mouse which I use when sitting down for an extended period, but I do also use the trackpad at the same time for some gestures :P

entropy
5th August 2011, 06:54 PM
I actually use both the magic mouse and the magic trackpad on my iMac. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and I enjoy the best of both worlds. Oh, and I actually prefer the magic mouse to an el cheapo USB mouse.

the8thark
5th August 2011, 09:30 PM
Sorry, where am I complaining? I said it looks clumsy. Reading comprehension. It's a good thing.
Read my post. I said where you were complaining a little.

But I don't want to get into an argument with you. So lets just say each person prefers their own thing, which is cool. And leave it at that.

glitch
5th August 2011, 09:32 PM
it wont be long and your iMac will just be a huge iPad running iOS, the writing is on the wall with Lion, the App store, the death of the mouse and the dumping of the Pro market.

torana355
5th August 2011, 09:48 PM
I love my Magic Mouse. even more then my Trackpad.

NinjaCatfish
5th August 2011, 10:00 PM
No idea on what will happen, but I'd not be surprised if Apple just focused on the Trackpad and if people want a mouse, they can get one from somewhere else.
The touch on the Magic Mouse was... okay, but not fantastic.

the8thark
5th August 2011, 11:42 PM
it wont be long and your iMac will just be a huge iPad running iOS, the writing is on the wall with Lion, the App store, the death of the mouse and the dumping of the Pro market.
Apple did NOT dump the pro market. If anything the Pro market partially left Apple. So the reverse actually.

glitch
6th August 2011, 08:35 AM
Apple did NOT dump the pro market.

The Pro market would beg to differ the crippling of Final Cut, the App store and the dumbing down of the OS are all part of that story of Apples loss of interest in this market. Its not surprising really, when you look at where they derive most of their profit. They are a marketing company selling chinese mobile devices with a proprietary iOS and electronic content - understandably they are slowly dropping the less profitable segments of the business and morphing whats left into the mobile market.

This business model has made them one of the largest and most profitable companies in the world so its certainly proving to be successful.

the8thark
6th August 2011, 01:29 PM
The Pro market would beg to differ the crippling of Final Cut, the App store and the dumbing down of the OS are all part of that story of Apples loss of interest in this market. Its not surprising really, when you look at where they derive most of their profit. They are a marketing company selling chinese mobile devices with a proprietary iOS and electronic content - understandably they are slowly dropping the less profitable segments of the business and morphing whats left into the mobile market.

My point exactly. Apple did a few things some Pros did not like 100% fully, so they winged very loudly and vowed never to use Apple products again. That's leaving Apple to me.
On the other hand there is a lot of pros who stuck with Apple. We dunno who they are care they did not scream at the top of their lungs like the unhappy pros. The happy pros just did their thing and quietly kept using the products. This is a clear case of 5% of the pro Apple userbase making 95% of the noise.

So those 5% of pros would like to think Apple wronged them. But this is so NOT the case. They just did not like what Apple did and chose to move on to other non Apple products. And that's fair, use whatever products you want to.

In short we can agree to disagree here on this point.

dotnet
6th August 2011, 03:18 PM
Apple will continue to do what they do best - transform the personal computing landscape. You can either be in for the ride or stand on the sideline, bitching and hand-waving.

Cheers
Steffen.

nibbles
6th August 2011, 05:10 PM
I loved the Magic Mouse when I first got it with my iMac, though in the back of my mind I always wanted a trackpad. I bought a Wacom tablet, it's great but I was stingy and got the pen only model. Then Apple released the Magic Trackpad, I use it with my right hand and when I need precision I use my Wacom with my left hand and right hand hovering between the trackpad and keyboard. Works great and I can't imagine a better way of doing it, though it would suck being right handed in my situation.

glitch
6th August 2011, 07:05 PM
Apple will continue to do what they do best - transform the personal computing landscape. You can either be in for the ride or stand on the sideline, bitching and hand-waving.

Cheers
Steffen.

Why is it that if we dont worship at the altar of jobs we are accused of bitching/hand waving/whinging? This is just sloppy arguing at best and lazy ad hominem attacking at worst.

I dont think Apple have any interest in "transform(ing) the personal computing landscape", as per my earlier post, all the signs are that they are moving their business to its strengths - marketing (of chinese made mobile devices), resale of downloadable content and iOS development.

dotnet
6th August 2011, 09:24 PM
Why is it that if we dont worship at the altar of jobs we are accused of bitching/hand waving/whinging?

I have no problem with anyone not worshipping at the altar of Jobs, I'd be a busy man if I were to chastise everybody who didn't (myself included). However, you were in fact bitching and hand-waving, so there you go.

I dont think Apple have any interest in "transform(ing) the personal computing landscape", as per my earlier post, all the signs are that they are moving their business to its strengths

Of course they're also doing that, they have to in order to succeed as a company. All their competitors are doing it as well, with varying success.

marketing (of chinese made mobile devices), resale of downloadable content and iOS development.

Um, I think you'll find there's quite a bit more to what Apple does.

Cheers
Steffen.