PDA

View Full Version : Safari is using ALOT of MEMORY, HELP

LevMac
24th July 2011, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

Since the installation of Lion, I pulled up Activity Monitor and checked out my Memory Usage, two things that are using a lot of memory are Safari which is using about 300MB and Safari Web Content which is using 700MB !?

Something does not sound right with Safari using this much memory, if someone can please help that would be great :)

the8thark
25th July 2011, 03:09 PM
That does sound right. Safari (along with every other major web browser) have always been the memory hogs. I do with Apple would cut down it's memory usage one day.

gehenna
25th July 2011, 03:48 PM
Safari is using roughly 150MB on my 2011 13" MBP, with about 6 tabs open including Facebook. However I do have another process called Safari Web Content that is using about 350MB at the same time. So combined about 500MB which is fairly standard for a browser in my experience.

the8thark
25th July 2011, 03:58 PM
For me - 2011 21.5 iMac - right now.
Safari 5 tabs open
Safari - 212MB and 330MB (virtual)
Safari web content - 668MB and 526MB (virtual)

That's too much in my opinion.

LevMac
25th July 2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,

It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this, let's hope 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 fixes this if it is considered to be an issue....

Currawong
26th July 2011, 03:27 PM
Safari or whatever other browser I use can often end up using 1GB or more of RAM. I think people don't appreciate how much crap is in web pages these days? Put it this way: An iPad has the same power as a supercomputer from 1994. Considering that the iPad is slower than a regular Mac to load a web site, it means you literally need something with supercomputing power to use the web nowadays!

bennyling
26th July 2011, 05:50 PM
Thread title reminded me of this: Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better Than You at Everything (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)

LevMac
26th July 2011, 07:16 PM
Safari or whatever other browser I use can often end up using 1GB or more of RAM. I think people don't appreciate how much crap is in web pages these days? Put it this way: An iPad has the same power as a supercomputer from 1994. Considering that the iPad is slower than a regular Mac to load a web site, it means you literally need something with supercomputing power to use the web nowadays!

Thanks for your response,

A) I know that a webpage contains a lot of crap which uses memory
B) I wasn't asking about a "supercomputer" or an "iPad"

It seems that this issue is also on MacRumors Forums...

Safari 5.1 Memory Leak in Lion - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1181523)

Currawong
26th July 2011, 08:30 PM
One thing that might help, since the last closed tab is saved, probably in memory, including history, is to not re-use tabs for new sites while browsing, but open them in new tabs. Very likely to improve speed, Safari keeps as much in memory as possible.