PDA

View Full Version : Best data prepaid plan?

karter
24th July 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi all.
Getting an iPad 2 3G this week, wondering, what is the best data prepaid plan, lasting 365 days?

Looking around, I'm leaning towards Optus' 365 day, 15gb for $130 plus buying the sim ($15 for 3gb included - 30days.) OR Telstra's 12gb 365 day for $150

Currently have an iPhone 4 with Optus, but I wish I was on telstra, purely due to their brilliant 3g service which is better in *some* areas in which I use my phone. Am wanting to stay right away from Vodafone, so basically, I have to choose between Telstra or an Optus based provider. Is there any good unknown type companies that use the Optus or Telstra network?

Also, is it worth paying $145 for 18gb on Optus or pay the extra $5 to go on Telstra but loose the extra 6gb??

Basically, I won't really be needing more then 14 or so GB for the full 12 months, but if I run close to that, I can always hotspot off my iPhone.

Thanks

Philmailloux
24th July 2011, 06:33 PM
I've got the telstra $150 for 365 days one, I took telstra because I travel a lot for work. I can honesty tell you that I get Internet on my iPad *everywhere* in Australia, I get better 3G signal out of it then my mobile. That can't be beat. Since march I haven't used more than 3 gigs so far whenever at home it's always on the wifi anyway. Telstra is well worth it IMO

Geoff3DMN
24th July 2011, 06:45 PM
I've got both Telstra and Optus 3G services and generally the Telstra one outperforms the Optus one. Several times at sporting events my Optus device has stopped delivering data to the point of total failure, I've only ever experienced that type of failure once with Telstra and that was at a city hotel during a busy business conference so I suspect it was high load in an area that doesn't normally have that sort of network load.

In rural areas Telstra has better signal strength than Optus more times than otherwise in my experience, having said that the majority of the time my Optus device works ok... just somewhat slower than my Telstra device.

aero_nz
24th July 2011, 07:26 PM
Telstra here too on the 12gb 365day. Works great, telstra works everywhere, and it's fassssst! Can't see me using it all of it in the year even tho I use it all the time

fuller
25th July 2011, 08:02 AM
Another one for the telstra 12Gb 365day plan, where I study my optus iPhone4 gets 1bar of 3G which is unusable for data can't even load google within 30seconds, my iPad gets 4 or 5 bars constantly.

rx8pilot
25th July 2011, 12:49 PM
+1 for Telstra 12GB / 365 days...Had mine since mid may, I haven't used that much data (certainly not the 1GB per month) but I get the best coverage...I previoulsy had a Virgin WiFi modem usnig the Optus network and here in Perth these is definitely a difference in coverage...I use my iPad on the Joondalup train line to and from work, and coverage is MUCH better.

Dante Kyar
25th July 2011, 01:41 PM
If you don't have your heart set on the 3g version, i would buy the little portable telstra 3g modem with wifi. That way you can share your connection with a few devices instead of just the ipad. That 12Gb/365 days deal is the best one for both the ipad and their prepaid 3g internet wifi modem.

DJY
26th July 2011, 08:47 PM
Definitely stick with Telstra and their 365 day package deal.

dracomjb
4th August 2011, 05:54 PM
I bought the $150 12 month 12gb Telstra pre-paid option on 19th November and I still have $51 credit remaining with a little over 3 months to go. With it being essentially 1Gb a month for $12.50 a month I've got about 4 months worth of credit left. If I renew before my anniversary date I'll keep the existing credit. I've done several trips to Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide and Canberra, used a little bit of streaming video over the 3G connection using Air Video and done App updates and installations using this data, lots of web browsing, email, irc, IMing and some Skype so I'm very happy with the performance and the amount of data I've used.

entropy
4th August 2011, 06:39 PM
Telstra 365 day plan. I was connected to our work servers via citrix in the air (private charter) all the way from Cairns to Normanton. No drop outs in what is actually a remote area. Optus doesn't even service the towns in most of the area.

I think the monthly plan works out a bit cheaper on a per mb basis, if you use all of the allocation. But the reality is you don't, and it is handy having plenty of data availability while traveling.

Joanybaloney
24th October 2011, 03:59 PM
Telstra for me too - if you want coverage anywhere (includes up mountains and down dales) . Entropy how did you get Citrix to work on your Ipad!! I can't even get it to work on my Mac! Very frustrating any ideas from people about where I can get help to get Citrix working on Mac?? IT Support at work wont help because I am not using one of their laptops or pcs!! So much for productivity!

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Maybe I read wrongly - sorry entropy I thought you write that you got Citrix on your Ipad!
Still need help with Citrix though!

timmunro
24th October 2011, 09:27 PM
I was going with the Telstra 365 day plan but when I rang the business line they offered a micro-sim $29 monthly plan with 3gb limit, with the benefit of getting my business/home landline std and local calls for free. Basically getting my iPad data at no extra cost. I'm also very happy with coverage.

Might be worth checking plan options.

kyte
25th October 2011, 04:45 AM
Telstra for me too - if you want coverage anywhere (includes up mountains and down dales) . Entropy how did you get Citrix to work on your Ipad!! I can't even get it to work on my Mac! Very frustrating any ideas from people about where I can get help to get Citrix working on Mac?? IT Support at work wont help because I am not using one of their laptops or pcs!! So much for productivity!

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Maybe I read wrongly - sorry entropy I thought you write that you got Citrix on your Ipad!
Still need help with Citrix though!

A Bing search took about 2 minutes (or less) to find this
Download Citrix Clients - Receiver, plugins and more (http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/lp/lp_2309126.asp?ntref=DLpromo1)

nightelves
25th October 2011, 04:33 PM
I was going with the Telstra 365 day plan but when I rang the business line they offered a micro-sim $29 monthly plan with 3gb limit, with the benefit of getting my business/home landline std and local calls for free. Basically getting my iPad data at no extra cost. I'm also very happy with coverage.

Might be worth checking plan options.

Can you tell me what plan this is on or who's arm I will have to twist to get this deal? I'm very interested in it. Thanks