PDA

View Full Version : Using Serial Printer with OSX

zeddie2001
14th November 2005, 06:22 PM
I have a HP Laserjet 4MP and I want to get it to work on my Family's OS X machines (Panther and Tiger,) but the printer doesn't have an USB port. I bought a Serial --> USB converter, and am having a hard time getting the computer to recognise the printer. The Printer is supported by Mac OS X.

The computer plain does not recognise the printer when I go to "USB Port" in Printer Utility, and I can't seem to set it up manually using the advanced menu, as I don't know the USB address of the printer.

Has anybody successfully hooked up their HP Laserjet to OSX? Where would I find the USB address? Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Jimbo
14th November 2005, 06:39 PM
i have done a laserjet 4 on osx, you need a "HP jetdirect" print server thingie. Basically its a box with a paralell port, and a 10/100 ethernet port, and you connect it to your network, then you run the jetdirect software and it installs a ip/printing service type thing. That's all i can suggest... i do have a jetdirect box though if yr near canberra you can borrow it...

Currawong
14th November 2005, 08:43 PM
Honest to God, as much as those were great printers, invest the money in a newer machine that has network or USB support. Either that or find someone willing to give you the jetdirect card for them for nothing or close to it.

iMick
14th November 2005, 10:34 PM
I got my old man's HP LaserJet 4L working with a USB adapter without any problem whatsoever.

But seriously, the amount of money that you spent on the USB adapter would have been the majority of a new printer. MacOS X friendly Samsung lasers are less than $150 these days. Crazy.

Mac Aid
14th November 2005, 10:47 PM
Broadly, there were two types of "Mac Serial" printer.

The first type was actually serial, such as a 4L, and will work with a USB to serial adapter that works with Mac OS X.

The other type is actually localtalk, not serial (although the connection is serial) and you need an ethernet to local talk bridge. Pretty much all Postscript printers fit this category, and you can tell them in the HP range by the "M" ie 4MP, 5MP, 6MP.

Ethernet to Localtalk Bridges are generally in the hundreds of dollars, and you would only consider it if you actually need postcript (because then it would be cheaper than replaceing the printer)

Currawong
15th November 2005, 05:55 AM
Speaking of ethernet to localtalk bridges, I have a bunch of Dayna ones I'm trying, desperately to get rid of (in the trading forum), if that's any use.

Nevets_Anderson
15th November 2005, 08:29 AM
If you realy want to do something insane and have a lc3 mac running system 7 with an ethernet card in it you can down load apples free software local talk bridge which could run via ethernet / lc3 serial port (with connectors)

It would be a bit of a long shot but in theory possible!

Have fun!

:)

soulman
15th November 2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Mac Aid@Nov 14 2005, 11:47 PM
...Ethernet to Localtalk Bridges are generally in the hundreds of dollars, and you would only consider it if you actually need postcript (because then it would be cheaper than replaceing the printer)
This is what I use - an AsanteTalk LocalTalk box - to run my 6MP. I bought the Asante at a time when I couldn't replace the 6MP for anything like the cost of the Asante - about 5 years ago. It was about $200 then & they're still around that.

Its input is ethernet so if the need is to print from multiple 'puters then it's a good choice for that. Still very expensive though.

Mac Aid, do you know if this is all still supported under Tiger? I have read that AppleTalk over ethernet is no longer supported but not sure if this applies to the printer. I've held off upgrading just in case.

Mac Aid
15th November 2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Nov 15 2005, 09:08 AM
Mac Aid, do you know if this is all still supported under Tiger? I have read that AppleTalk over ethernet is no longer supported but not sure if this applies to the printer. I've held off upgrading just in case.
It should be fine, it's AFP over Appletalk, not Appletalk itself that's no longer supported.

zeddie2001
15th November 2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all your help.

I think I will look into using an old PPC as a print server. Will let you know how that goes. If all else fails I may buy a new laser printer, but this is a fantastic printer, and I'm cheap!

cmjl
17th November 2005, 01:17 PM
I too have a dearly loved HP LaserJet (5MP) that I did not want to part with as it has a Localtalk Interface for my Classic Macs, an IR interface for my Windows laptop and a Parallel Interface for anything else.

I ended up going down the JetDirect route, though took a different turn with an Intel NetPort print server. It works a treat with Appletalk over Ethernet or, as I prefer to use from my iMac, LPR over Ethernet.

It's always a tradeoff when mixing anything old and new. On the one hand I wanted to keep my laser and maintain compatibility with my older gear. On the other hand, I had to find a way to get the iMac printing.

You'll most likely need to get an expert to help you configure the print adaptor though. I ended up having to bring my NetPort into the office and hooking it up to the IPX network, as that was the only way that it could be configured.