PDA

View Full Version : App Store pricing updated

benwong
14th July 2011, 07:52 AM
The Next Web reported prices in the UK App Store have risen. I just checked the Australian App Store and they have dropped. Tier 1 apps are now 99c.

Apoptosis
14th July 2011, 08:13 AM
Hooray!

Joey1983
14th July 2011, 08:13 AM
Song prices haven't changed on the music store :(
So a US99c app now costs A99c, but a US99c song costs A$1.69... ?!?!

Apoptosis
14th July 2011, 08:16 AM
Possibly iTunes price deals are done differently? Just a guess but a US99c app was AU1.19 not AU1.69

benwong
14th July 2011, 08:21 AM
Possibly iTunes price deals are done differently? Just a guess but a US99c app was AU1.19 not AU1.69
Yeah. I don't think music and movie prices have changed. New Release movies are still $24.99.

Joey1983
14th July 2011, 08:28 AM
I know Apple have more control over the App Store than they do the Music Store because of the record labels etc. Just seems like such a big difference, especially considering our dollar has been better than theirs for a while now but we pay 70% more...
Anyway, just my rant about music.

Back on topic, how does this affect Aussie devs? Are they paid in US dollars or did their 70% cut just become ~20% smaller?

Zurg
14th July 2011, 08:30 AM
I think the contracts with the labels would explain a lot about how iTunes currently works with movies and music. I think apps give you the best idea how Apple ideally sees things working. My big personally grip remains that I can't use iTunes to gift apps internationally (Ok I can understand blocking things that are illegal in a country but for items available in both stores... I'm trying to give you money Apple!)

The_Hawk
14th July 2011, 08:38 AM
Or how about a single global store with a single price dynamically applied using whatever conversion rate they choose. I'm sure they can cater to local content with tags/flags on apps...

I'm sure it has as much to do with different local laws as it does with Apple themselves, but you can always dream.

davemc
14th July 2011, 08:52 AM
About time, I gather they not be able to move prices on the Label stuff as they are dinosaurs when it comes to Digital stuff.
$1.19 was not too much although when your dollar been over the US one for months now it did not make sense.

leon
14th July 2011, 08:53 AM
Same with the Mac App store. Aperture is now $85 and FCPX is $319.

aeon
14th July 2011, 08:55 AM
Sounds like a good idea, they'd have to comply with local GST/VAT type taxes though, and when selling products in Australia I believe it's a requirement to show the post GST price clearly.

dagaz
14th July 2011, 08:55 AM
Bugger, I just Pixelmator the day before yesterday and its now gone down $5.

As for music prices, that's a lot to do with our local music labels - took them years to get their sh!t together and sign up to iTunes - long after it had proven a success everywhere else it had been introduced.

nibbles
14th July 2011, 09:05 AM
Damn, could have saved some money on Motion and other apps but anyway it'll mean Lion will be cheaper.

Angsty
14th July 2011, 09:37 AM
Or how about a single global store with a single price dynamically applied using whatever conversion rate they choose. I'm sure they can cater to local content with tags/flags on apps...

Sooo so logical and obvious global solution *sigh*. Sometimes I wonder if Apple realises not everyone in the "world" lives in the USA.....

Ang

OziMac
14th July 2011, 10:41 AM
Damn, could have saved some money on Motion and other apps but anyway it'll mean Lion will be cheaper.

I don't think so - at $31.99, I think they got the Lion price right, and it certainly is in keeping with the rest of the changes across the store.

What is more interesting is how the MBA/Minis will be priced tonight, and whether those price drops will spread to the rest of the lineup (including the iPads and iPhones).

nibbles
14th July 2011, 10:44 AM
Was just wondering the same, it'd be great to be able to pick up a new iMac (yes I know they won't be refreshed shortly) at $1199 rather than $1399, it'd be the final point for me to buy the new one. And possibly a new Air whilst i'm going.

mac_it
14th July 2011, 02:38 PM
Hate to hit a sour note with all this jubilation, but spare a thought for those poor customers (like me for example) who saved their pennies and bought FCPX for $349, only to find that it won't import any content from iMovie without crashing, and now, to rub salt into the open wound, find out that the product now sells for $30 less. Going to be giving a Genius member a hard time over this.

Apoptosis
14th July 2011, 03:10 PM
Hate to hit a sour note with all this jubilation, but spare a thought for those poor customers (like me for example) who saved their pennies and bought FCPX for $349, only to find that it won't import any content from iMovie without crashing, and now, to rub salt into the open wound, find out that the product now sells for $30 less. Going to be giving a Genius member a hard time over this.

Yeah... Because he/she had LOTS to do with the decisions leading up to those 'problems.' Hope you feel like a big man while you give crap to the wrong person.

Also, judging by your system specs in your sig $30 shouldn't be a big problem for you ;)

nibbles
14th July 2011, 03:20 PM
How is it any different to a retailer having a 10% off sale a few days after you bought something, nothing you can do really, it's just the luck of the draw.

mac_it
14th July 2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah... Because he/she had LOTS to do with the decisions leading up to those 'problems.' Hope you feel like a big man while you give crap to the wrong person.

Also, judging by your system specs in your sig $30 shouldn't be a big problem for you ;)

Nobody likes to pay more than they have to. That is why so many people complained about the Australian pricing in the first place, to the point where it was raised by a politician. My point really was that the product does not seem to work as advertised, and having a price drop only a week or so after it's release does not improve the situation.

However, I do take your point (even though you delivered it somewhat crudely) that the guys at the Apple Stores have nothing to do with pricing or functionality issues. Perhaps I should have asked on the Forum where else (other than the Genius Bar) I should direct my concerns over the crashing problems I am having.

BTW, you shouldn't judge a person's financial situation based on such scant information as appears in my sig. The hardware is nearly 4 years old and is probably outperformed by the cheapest iMac available today.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

How is it any different to a retailer having a 10% off sale a few days after you bought something, nothing you can do really, it's just the luck of the draw.

Very true, but having a 10% sale after something that was only released a few days before and then finding out the product has major flaws combines into an unpleasant experience.

Apoptosis
14th July 2011, 04:15 PM
Nobody likes to pay more than they have to. That is why so many people complained about the Australian pricing in the first place, to the point where it was raised by a politician. My point really was that the product does not seem to work as advertised, and having a price drop only a week or so after it's release does not improve the situation.

However, I do take your point (even though you delivered it somewhat crudely) that the guys at the Apple Stores have nothing to do with pricing or functionality issues. Perhaps I should have asked on the Forum where else (other than the Genius Bar) I should direct my concerns over the crashing problems I am having.

BTW, you shouldn't judge a person's financial situation based on such scant information as appears in my sig. The hardware is nearly 4 years old and is probably outperformed by the cheapest iMac available today.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Very true, but having a 10% sale after something that was only released a few days before and then finding out the product has major flaws combines into an unpleasant experience.

support.apple.com would be a guess as to where to start. Your attitude towards getting support for products is somewhat crude, to be honest.

Even buying all the gear listed in your sig 2nd hand now would be a reasonable sum of money. Enough that $30 shouldn't be enough to go and shout at someone over. It's not like you're running a 5th hand G4 and the guy in the Apple Store told you FCX would run on your machine. Then I can imagine being a little peeved over the money.

Pricedrops weeks after release isn't all that uncommon in the tech world. Nothing new or surprising.