PDA

View Full Version : App Store is slow right now. Could this be a sign?!?!?

Catfishy
13th July 2011, 11:13 AM
I was trying, for grins, to see if Lion was up yet despite the rumors (and just because I am impatient as hell). At first I thought is was my ISP, but all other connections are fine (Safari, e-mail, etc.). All other connections to the outside world are fine. I even thought back to my PC days and restarted my Mac (like my Mac needed that right?). The App Store on the other hand seems bogged down and sometimes I would get a connection, and other times I would not.

Could this be a positive sign that OS X Lion will be up very soon?
Just wondering what others think.:confused:

Goodbye
13th July 2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah my App Store slow to the point of not loading this morning.

Edit: And still not loading.

billenya
13th July 2011, 11:25 AM
I thought it was just the app store app on my phone being sluggish. Forced quit a couple of times but no dice. Maybe it's not just me after all!

kyte
13th July 2011, 11:27 AM
Various sections of the itunes store simply not loading at all. Medical, social networking, photography, finance, utilities and weather all just sit and spin. Cannot do a search. What a bl**dy pest. If you see an app in any of those sections listed in the sidebar or on the page, it will load that. Just not the entire section.

On the mac app store, wont load at all but is happy enough to give me my updates. Wonder what on earth is going on.

dekco
13th July 2011, 11:28 AM
Trying to download a game from the app store... keeps timing out.

kyte
13th July 2011, 11:32 AM
Trying to download a game from the app store... keeps timing out.

OIC. Yes thats now happening to my updates downloads.

rav3n
13th July 2011, 12:12 PM
Maybe there just moving everything over from the old newark datacenter to the new north carolina one if they haven't already done so

glacierdave
13th July 2011, 12:13 PM
Currently not loading for me either (on two computers and two IOS devices).

Doesn't seem to be much of note going on in my RSS feeds though, so perhaps it's just a network issue of some description.

David

supafly
13th July 2011, 01:24 PM
Yep, outage experienced for me too. Started sluggish but is now unavailable. Either this is an unplanned outage or they are prepping for a Lion release in the coming day??? :)

glacierdave
13th July 2011, 02:06 PM
Seems to be working again now, no obvious changes from when I was looking at it yesterday.

David

Lutze
13th July 2011, 02:31 PM
Release days for OS X (Historical)

Saturday 24 March 2001 - Cheetah
Tuesday 25 September 2001 - Puma
Friday 23 August 2002 - Jaguar
Friday 24 October 2003 - Panther
Friday 29 April 2005 - Tiger
Friday 26 October 2007 - Leopard
Friday 28 August - 2009 - Snow Leopard

As you can see from this breakdown - I've been wondering why they have been banging on about a mid week release. The only reason for it happening that I can think of is that bandwidth may be available cheaper.

Friday 15 July - 2011 - Lion ????

MrJesseRoss
13th July 2011, 02:36 PM
Those were boxed software releases. Launching on Friday meant a nice big weekend of luring people into retail stores (and maybe buying a new Mac while they're at it). They don't need to do that anymore with Lion being released on the App Store.

nibbles
13th July 2011, 03:35 PM
Could be sorting our that Akamai stuff ready for the launch, only Apple knows. And possibly some of the large ISPs.

paronga
13th July 2011, 07:10 PM
Seems to be working fine for me now....

Dont think i saw lion?

entropy
13th July 2011, 07:25 PM
Macrumors article on App store maintenance issues (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/13/itunes-connect-to-go-down-for-maintenance-as-app-store-problems-persist/)

i
Tunes Connect will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on Wednesday, July 13 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. PDT.

During this time, iTunes Connect will still be available. However, pricing changes made between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. PDT will cause the app to become unavailable for purchase until maintenance is complete, at which point the app will become available at the new price. To avoid interruptions to the availability of your apps, do not make price changes during this time.

Lastly, customers may not be able to purchase apps in the Mexico, U.K., Australia, Switzerland, Japan or Norway storefronts during the scheduled maintenance.

Regards,
The App Store team

Catfishy
13th July 2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah I posted this last night. I don't see it this morning either. Oh well back to my inpatient state of being...

---------- Post added at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Macrumors article on App store maintenance issues (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/13/itunes-connect-to-go-down-for-maintenance-as-app-store-problems-persist/)

i

Thank you for that information. I did not see that earlier.

Jolyon
14th July 2011, 07:12 AM
It might just be due to the maintenance, but the prices on the AU App store seem to have gone down (at least on the "featured" screen).

harryb2448
14th July 2011, 07:21 AM
Tonight as the song goes, is the night! Look for Lion from 4Am tomorrow. Staff working back to update all stock to OS X.7 for tomorrow's (Friday) opening.

ozron
14th July 2011, 07:52 AM
All apps now seem to be priced at the same price as the US store i.e. 99c, $1.99 etc. So that's a big price drop of 20-25%. Now if only they convinced the music companies to price music more realistically!

tcn33
14th July 2011, 07:52 AM
It might just be due to the maintenance, but the prices on the AU App store seem to have gone down (at least on the "featured" screen).

Yeah, app pricing appears to be matching US prices now - there's still some at $1.19 but most of them are $0.99 now - as predicted (http://www.macstories.net/news/itunes-connect-maintenance-could-mean-apple-is-eventually-recalibrating-international-itunes-prices/) by MacStories. No equivalent change for iTunes though, as you'd expect due to licensing agreements.

grfxninja
14th July 2011, 08:05 AM
Trying to buy an app (Swords & Soldiers) and Iím getting this message. Either on my iPhone or through iTunes app store
https://img.skitch.com/20110714-j93j3x23fmka68ra71sfcxsec.jpg

gikku
15th July 2011, 01:36 PM
slow iTunes, could be a sign of the impending performance of iCloud.
hope not.

Flywheel
18th July 2011, 03:50 PM
Any sign of Lions as yet............................I'm as impatient as hell too for this to roll out!!

xtreme2k
20th July 2011, 07:12 PM
store.apple.com now down:p

Exocet
20th July 2011, 07:15 PM
store.apple.com now down:p
The Official Mactalk "ZOMG THE APPLE STORE IS DOWN POWERBOOK G5 FTW!!!!1!" Thread (http://www.mactalk.com.au/53/76594-official-mactalk-zomg-apple-store-down-powerbook-g5-ftw-1-thread.html)