PDA

View Full Version : New iPad Owner

Brennan
7th July 2011, 02:56 PM
Hi All,

My iPad is being delivered tomorrow, and I have a few questions. I've done some searches but can't find the answers. some I'm sure will be simple, others are harder...

1 - Can I copy apps from iphone to iPad via backup/restore backup onto the iPad? to keep my saved games etc...?

2 - If i Backup iphone, then install the app onto the iPad from my laptop, will it get all the saved settings with it as well?

3 - If there is an iPad and an iPhone version of the app, do I have to re-purchase the iPad version, or will the iPhone version work?

4 - I have a Bigpond Ultimate USB I don't need anymore. Can I cut down the SIM and use it in my iPad? Telstra won't give me a straight answer...

any other tips/tricks for a new user to be wary of?

Thanks all in advance.

James

riccto
7th July 2011, 03:46 PM
1) Yes, iTunes is where all your apps are kept and listed, you just fill the iPad from that list of apps in iTunes
2) Game settings do not carry across (in iOS 4)
3) Universal apps (have a little grey "+" icon in iTunes store) will just install. iPhone only apps will run but in native or pixel doubled sizes. iPad only apps are the only ones that need to be re-bought.
4) You can cut the SIM down. There are guides on the 'net or you can buy a SIM cutter.

Brennan
7th July 2011, 04:44 PM
awesome. thanks for all your help.

so to use an example - Angry Birds.

If I restore my backup of an iPhone to my iPad, will it keep the levels I have passed? ditto if I install the version straight from itunes?

thanks for info on which apps work on both. I sense fun times changing it over.

Are the SIM cards locked to the device? or not known?

Thanks again

James

MarkW
8th July 2011, 10:09 AM
Many iPhone apps have an iPad app distinctly designed to use the larger screen and are often called ???? HD or "for iPad". Of couse being a different app you have to pay and these apps are mostly a few bucks more than the iPhone version.

SIM cards - no If you purchased you iPad from Apple won't get a 3G sim with it. You need to organise that yourself.

dracomjb
8th July 2011, 12:55 PM
You can't restore an iPhone backup to an iPad.
Unless the app has a way of restoring data from another source, you won't be able to restore saved game settings or high scores.
You may be able to find a way of getting the saved data from your iPhone backup to your iPad backup and then restore but you'd have to google how to do it (if it is at all possible).

Brennan
8th July 2011, 09:39 PM
Hi all thanks for the replies.

iPad is awesome. Have started installing everything.

I've put the SIM from my Telstra USB Ultimate into my iPad after a bit of trimming, but it says cannot activate cellular network, even though it has full reception. Any thoughts???

MissionMan
9th July 2011, 08:58 AM
Hi all thanks for the replies.

iPad is awesome. Have started installing everything.

I've put the SIM from my Telstra USB Ultimate into my iPad after a bit of trimming, but it says cannot activate cellular network, even though it has full reception. Any thoughts???

1. Is it Telstra or bigpond?
2. You need to plug it into your computer so it can download/update the carrier settings.

greeny57
11th October 2011, 11:23 AM
hi,
I am new as well and i don't know how to put a questions on this site. the reason i am doing this is can i connect an bigpond 7.2 thumbdrive which i already have for my laptop to my ipad 2 via a cable of some sort so that i may use it away from home.
i someone can give me directions that would be great.
Tony

MrJesseRoss
11th October 2011, 01:19 PM
Do you mean a USB dongle? That's not going to work. You'll need to use an iPhone or some other kind of device that can act as a wifi hotspot if you want connectivity away from home.

greeny57
29th October 2011, 09:13 AM
back again, now you mentioned to use an iphone how do you use the iphone so that i can use my ipad anywhere

Brewster
29th October 2011, 09:44 AM
back again, now you mentioned to use an iphone how do you use the iphone so that i can use my ipad anywhere

On the iphone go to Settings > Personal Hotspot > and turn it on. Then on the ipad go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and connect to your iphone.