PDA

View Full Version : Apple care?

chocho
2nd July 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a macbook pro 13'' and an ipad 1 that are coming at the end of their warranty 1 year period. Wondering which way would be the most inexpensive way to buy apple care!

I have heard this could be done online in the US or from various places on the internet.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Fedgrub
2nd July 2011, 05:41 PM
Probably eBay.

ajbeardy
2nd July 2011, 05:45 PM
Buy it from an an Apple Authorised reseller and save yourself all the grief when Apple ask for the for a copy of the receipt when you try and register it with them.

chocho
2nd July 2011, 09:41 PM
why can't i buy from B&H for half the price??? i am really starting to hate the whole aus - us crap and the dollar conversion !

~Coxy
4th July 2011, 04:36 PM
Buying from B&H should be fine.

vacantengaged
4th July 2011, 10:08 PM
Does this mean you can purchase AppleCare from overseas and it's still good? My 12 month warranty expires at the end of August.

skritter
6th July 2011, 12:20 AM
Apple computers have an international warranty, but you will find iPhones (and I assume iPads as well ) only have locally respected warranties. So overseas purchased AppleCare for iPhones (and I assume iPads) are not valid.

chocho
6th July 2011, 12:45 AM
B&H doesn't ship apple care for the macbook family outside of the USA... that kinda sucks! works out to $170 ozzie $$ from the US compare to a hefty $300+ here on oz land. so yeah why, why, why?

where else can i buy outside australia? am sick of the inflated pricing! our dollar is going to hit 1.10 soon... easier to fly there and sort it out :)

the8thark
6th July 2011, 11:04 AM
easier to fly there and sort it out :)
And also easier to pay a mate who lives in the states to buy it and post it to you.

dekco
6th July 2011, 11:51 AM
else look for countries where the currency is "pegged" to the usd. two countries immediately come to mind. hkg and sin.

simonm
10th July 2011, 11:10 PM
Although it seems like a lot of money for (potentially) nothing when you buy it, I would still say that AppleCare is essential for most Macs except for probably the cheapest laptops. It depends which model of MacBook Pro you bought and if you BTO pimped out your purchase because everything in a BTO Mac is covered by the extended warranty.

For the base model MacBook and 11" MacBook Air, the cost of AppleCare ($329) is between a quarter and a third (27.4 % actually) of complete replacement with a newer and better model. So you can judge whether that is a risk you're willing to take.

In some cases it's an obvious choice. For example, $329 to extend the warranty on a $7,000 Mac Pro and 27" Cinema display for another two years is a no brainer. AppleCare is an even better deal when you consider that they'll include a Cinema display in the extended warranty if it was purchased at the same time as a laptop or desktop.

woofy
11th July 2011, 02:22 PM
Just a warning, you need to make sure you get a receipt from an authorised seller. The system will let you extend using the code, but if Apple ask for the receipt and you can't produce it, (ie most ebay sellers) then you probably just burnt some money and by the time you find out, its past time to extend it.

I have a vague memory when I checked the Ts & Cs that you also need to buy it from Australia if you live here (even though its an international warranty).

bernborough2000
12th July 2011, 02:24 PM
Staticice ; I-pad $ 109 from PC Market ; 13" MacBookPro $ 249 MacOnline . Worth it for peace of mind .

woofy
17th July 2011, 06:30 PM
I've noticed two codes for the imac applecare out there one is AppleCare iMac Protection Plan [MC257FE/A] - Apple Products - Apple - AppleCare - Landmark Computers (http://www.lmc.com.au/products/Apple_Products/Apple/571009/AppleCare_iMac_Protection_Plan_%5BMC257FE/A%5D) and the other is AppleCare iMac Protection Plan [MD007FE/A] - Apple Products - Apple - AppleCare - Landmark Computers (http://www.lmc.com.au/products/Apple_Products/Apple/575751/AppleCare_iMac_Protection_Plan_%5BMD007FE/A%5D)

the latter and more pricey one is the same as the applestore online what gives?

rpjallan
17th July 2011, 08:01 PM
The other benefit of AppleCare that I have found is resale value. I always try to update my computers at between 2 to 3 years. So if you're selling one with warranty (even if it's only a few months) the resale value is much greater. It's also worth a look on ebay. I just got AppleCare for my Mac Pro for $150 with a shop receipt from Design Wise...

Orestes
30th July 2011, 01:25 PM
I purchased Apple Care for my now 2.5 year old MacBook through ebay at the time, I've never had a problem... I do however no the perils though and mileage varies. It's definitely worth consideration and can add a couple hundred dollars to your eventual resale value when yo do decide to sell it.

the8thark
30th July 2011, 05:12 PM
Egg Freckles | Should You Buy Applecare (http://www.eggfreckles.net/tech/should-you-buy-applecare/)

This is a nice article. Those wanting to purchase AppleCare should read it.

glacierdave
1st August 2011, 08:22 AM
I've noticed two codes for the imac applecare out there one is AppleCare iMac Protection Plan [MC257FE/A] - Apple Products - Apple - AppleCare - Landmark Computers (http://www.lmc.com.au/products/Apple_Products/Apple/571009/AppleCare_iMac_Protection_Plan_%5BMC257FE/A%5D) and the other is AppleCare iMac Protection Plan [MD007FE/A] - Apple Products - Apple - AppleCare - Landmark Computers (http://www.lmc.com.au/products/Apple_Products/Apple/575751/AppleCare_iMac_Protection_Plan_%5BMD007FE/A%5D)

the latter and more pricey one is the same as the applestore online what gives?

MC257FE/A is the version of APP that includes a disc the TechTool.

MD007FE/A is the newer version of APP that has no disc - registration instructions only.

The older one should be fading out of circulation by now - hasn't been available to retailers for at least six months (don't remember exactly, could be closer to a year).

David