PDA

View Full Version : Dock Issue since 10.4.3

sikosis
11th November 2005, 06:39 PM
Ever since 10.4.3 my dock now does this ...

If I create a new item on the dock either by right clicking and selecting "Keep In Dock" or by dragging an app onto it, the item gets created no problem, however, when I next restart my machine, they are all gone. Even the ones I deleted are back ...

Any ideas why this is recreating the dock exactly to the way it was before the update ?

Also, how do I report this as a problem with Apple ? I got lost looking on their support page. :unsure: perhaps I'm just blinded by frustration/anger atm ... pls help.

sikosis
14th November 2005, 07:10 PM
:cry: *sniff sniff* ... it's now happening with my widgets ... I tried out the World Clocks ... I put two on them on my desktop, and I thought they look good, then I noticed each one was sucking up 25% of the CPU and I thought bugger that and I remove them, CPU drops right down and all is good ... until the next time I power up my machine (yes I do shutdown properly via the Finder menu in the top left hand corner).

I don't want to have to do a reinstall - otherwise, I'm just no better than a Windows user. :angry:

Graham
14th November 2005, 07:23 PM
Try repairing permissions and seee if that improves things.

Rayd
14th November 2005, 07:47 PM
hey, no shame in doing a reinstall! i did my first ever clean reinstall of tiger on my quicksilver! after 4 years of great big updates...all that info just clutters up and slows the machine down.. :D just back up and do it :D

iMick
14th November 2005, 08:07 PM
Delete your com.apple.dock.plist file first! It will do the same thing as a re-install and should set your dock and dock permissions back to default

I would say there is a widget plist file as well you can delete.

Optogamut
14th November 2005, 08:24 PM
BTW, I've got little snitch, and since the 10.4.3 update, the dock has been wanting to connect to the net. Anyone know why?

The Architect.mac
14th November 2005, 08:29 PM
Frontrow checker - if detected - reports to apple online - imminent 32 pass wipe erase on reboot

actually have no idea - how do you know it wants net acces - is it asking for keychain?

kit
15th November 2005, 10:34 AM
The Dock plist should fix Dashboard too: the Dock application controls Exposť and Dashboard.
I'd also definitely repair permissions (after most OS upgrades that's essential).

sikosis
15th November 2005, 06:53 PM
I'll have to try that ... just for more Finder madness ...

I was looking at a series of files on a DVD in Finder and I was about to copy them to the Desktop.

I went to select a group of files and then *pop* one of them disappears ...

and then I closed the window, etc and still nothing then about 3-4 minutes later I was looking at it saying to my fiance, the file is missing off the DVD and then *pop* it was back again.

My mac never did any of this until 10.4.3 ... hrmmm ... I'm over it.