PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Imac from backup

speedway boy
9th November 2005, 10:22 AM
Hi,
Ok, finally got my Imac G5 back after hard drive died under warranty. No data recoverable and apple got rid of the hard drive. Don't even get me started on that one :angry:

So with no option of going to a data recovery place, I'm going back to my backup that is two months old on my firwire. Basically I had copied the users folder onto my firewire as backup.

How is the best way to transfer those files back? Drag and drop?

Couple of things to note, they upgraded my OS to 10.4 when I was on 10.3.9. Does then dropping an old user folder into 10.4 do bad things?

Thanks for your help...

speedway boy
9th November 2005, 11:15 AM
Ok, I'm really worried now...

I have tried to rebuild my email. Having dragged my mail folder from my backed up user/libary folder, I getting no emails appearing when I open mail.

I get the folders that I had created, and email is coming into my inbox, but as for all my past emails in their various folders nothing !?!?!?!?!?!?!

I really hoping this is fixable, I was stressed that I had lost 2 months of emails, but the thought of losing everything is really stressing me out. :(

Please any ideas?

detail
9th November 2005, 11:26 AM
Try the "rebuild" in the "mailbox" menu.

That should reconnect the mailbox with the mail.

speedway boy
9th November 2005, 11:49 AM
Thankyou! My first little crisis over....

now for the rest of the key apps...

so if anyone knows how to rebuild
Address Book
Iphoto
Safari preferences

I would be forever grateful..
I again tried to just copy paste the address book folder in user/app support folder but no luck....

Thankyou people... :)

detail
9th November 2005, 12:01 PM
I think I've also done this one.

Restart iPhoto with the command and option keys down.

Iphoto opens with the library rebuilt.

I hope.