PDA

View Full Version : iOS style scrolling in OS X

bartron
2nd June 2011, 07:01 PM
I don't get it and I don't think I ever will.

On the iPad I get it. You are directly interacting with the content so it makes sense that it moves in the direction you push it. On the desktop you're not interacting with the content, you're interacting with the machine.

I liken it this way:
The iPad is an open window into which you reach to manipulate things on the other side. To read further down a page you reach in and push the page up

The Desktop is a pane of glass that you look through. If you want to see something further down a page you move the frame down.

I've tried but I just can't seem to use the open window method on the desktop. I'm always wanting to use the machine like a pane of glass that I need to move, yet the open window method is perfectly natural to me on the iPad/iphone.

Am I alone?

nibbles
2nd June 2011, 07:07 PM
It really doesn't bother me, with a mouse I hate the iOS style scrolling but on my Magic Trackpad it feels almost natural because it is so smooth. The iOS scrolling on iOS is nicer, it doesn't blur like it does on a computer.

dekco
2nd June 2011, 07:09 PM
i get used to stuff like this relatively quickly so no issues either way for me.

mmulhern
2nd June 2011, 07:10 PM
Your description is right on the ball. I just hope that "normal" scrolling stays the default in OSX, unless of course we have a touch screen without scroll bars. Mmmmm, I wonder. . . . . .

nibbles
2nd June 2011, 07:12 PM
There will be an option in Lion to have OS X (current) style scrolling.

snark
2nd June 2011, 07:16 PM
Hmmm, I see your point, but what can I say? I can work with both paradigms.

I wonder if there is a trackpad prefer that lets you reverse the scroll behaviour?

bartron
2nd June 2011, 07:27 PM
There will be an option in Lion to have OS X (current) style scrolling.

Yes, I currently have this set. I change it back to try and 'force' myself into the new default....just doesn't work though

Hmmm, I see your point, but what can I say? I can work with both paradigms.

I wonder if there is a trackpad prefer that lets you reverse the scroll behaviour?

As above....I haver tried though to see if it can be a trackpad only option...that would be neat.

LeeLee
2nd August 2011, 08:40 PM
So, now that we are a week or two into Lion, how is everyone going with "Natural" scrolling?
To be perfectly honest, I still dont know if I like it or not!
I want to like it, but i'm still scrolling the wrong way just about every time. Guess it's hard to break a 10 year habit! ;)

nibbles
2nd August 2011, 08:57 PM
On my iMac, I hate it. pushing content on a 21.5" screen doesn't seem right especially since the trackpad isn't hard up against the screen.

However, on a MacBook Pro I find it seems right. I use my iMac as my main machine but if I was to use a MacBook Pro, I think i'd have natural scrolling enabled, switching between them i'll keep it off on both.

wolfie
2nd August 2011, 09:29 PM
I've noticed those that like it or can get used to it are those on a trackpad, if you use a mouse in lion, i think it dosent feel right and just won't work.

grfxninja
2nd August 2011, 10:18 PM
I've noticed those that like it or can get used to it are those on a trackpad, if you use a mouse in lion, i think it dosent feel right and just won't work.

I use a MBP with a Magic Mouse. At first I had it turned off, but thought I would give it a go and got the hang of it within a day.
Breaking a 20 year habit was a lot easier than I expected. Now if I could do the same for cigarettes, I’d be laughing…

bartron
2nd August 2011, 10:41 PM
trackpad, yes if you think about pushing (or pulling) the content around as you would on a tablet.

mouse, be it mighty, magic or otherwise...no. Feels about as natural as putting shoes on your elbow.

Exocet
2nd August 2011, 11:16 PM
When you start to use other gestures (like swiping back and forth between pages or spaces) it makes more sense. In those gestures you're pushing your content left or right, so the vertical gestures make more sense.

the8thark
3rd August 2011, 12:03 AM
To bartron: You almost have it.

iOS scrolling is the screen is fixed and you move the document up or down with your finger.
Snow Leopard scrolling is the document is fixed and you move the screen up or down to see other parts.

And to me I agree the iOS scrolling does not translate so well to OS X. Cause you're not moving the document like in iOS. You're using a mouse/trackpad. Not touching the screen at all. But Apple gave us the option of both. So we can choose whatever you want.

Steve_D
3rd August 2011, 12:17 AM
Ive been thinking about this for a few days and have come to the conclusion that its just a matter of training.

The same kinda thing was heard when the scroll wheel was introduced. People didn't like it. Or the "nipple" thing that all the old IBMs used.

After a while it becomes second nature.

As for it working on the iPad i would go as far as saying that the reason this is true is because there was no other interface method before this. There was no routine to "relearn" as it were.

Its still early days yet and once it becomes the norm you will probably find that using the scroll on "traditional" PCs annoying and un-intuitive too.

kyte
3rd August 2011, 06:29 AM
With the magic mouse yes, but not with Mighty Mouse (my scroll button doesnt seem to work at all anymore). I'm finding it much easier to adapt than I expected. I still make mistakes but its easily corrected.

sirstaunch
4th August 2011, 02:19 AM
What about drag and drop with the track pad? Is that easy to manage across a large screen as using Remote VNC from my iPad that puts a virtual track pad on the screen I have some difficulty dragging something across the 17inch eMac screen before running out of gliding area in the track pad area that the dragged file doesn't reach the intended destination that I could lose it or something.

the8thark
4th August 2011, 10:57 PM
I know on Snow Leopard I could select some click and hold option when moving items. So I could remove my finger and reposition on the trackpad for more moving. And tap to release the item. But I can't seem to find the option on Lion.

the8thark
7th August 2011, 04:16 AM
I just noticed something. Turning off natural scrolling for up and down works. But it's still natural for left to right. When the option is clicked off. Needs a fix.

nibbles
7th August 2011, 08:28 AM
Check again, it's opposite for me. I.e two fingers left to go back a page

dezinerau
7th August 2011, 10:15 AM
I like it on both the trackpad and mighty mouse, have only had a couple of moments where u got it wrong but have adapted fairly quickly.

What about drag and drop with the track pad? Is that easy to manage across a large screen as using Remote VNC from my iPad that puts a virtual track pad on the screen I have some difficulty dragging something across the 17inch eMac screen before running out of gliding area in the track pad area that the dragged file doesn't reach the intended destination that I could lose it or something.

With the trackpad you can click and hold with your thumb then drag with your index finger.

the8thark
7th August 2011, 09:03 PM
I like it on both the trackpad and mighty mouse, have only had a couple of moments where u got it wrong but have adapted fairly quickly.
With the trackpad you can click and hold with your thumb then drag with your index finger.
I dunno but for me I tap (I have tap to click enabled) + drag something to move it. I can remove my finger from the trackpad and place it again. And if I drag my finger again (and not tap when I place it back on the trackpad) it moves still. I need to tap the trackpad to drop the item in place on the screen. It's always been like that for me. And I don't know why.

So I don't need to hold with my thumb or anything. Even in virtualised systems I use. Very strange. But I like it.