PDA

View Full Version : Installing RAM On iBook- Keyboard problems

maclover
8th November 2005, 03:47 PM
Hi.
Im trying to install my new stick of Ram onto my iBook G4.
Problem is, i cant get the keyboard open. It just wont do it.
Ive been trying for ages but it wont pop up - ive tried unlocking it and whatever it says in the User Manual as well. Now i have a broken esc key on a 3 week old iBook. Im so angry at it and just left it now.

How can i get it to work? (I dont really want to pay my Apple Reseller 20 bucks to do it for me)

Is there a way you can fix and esc key?
(it is really wonky and i can lift most of it up)

Disko
8th November 2005, 03:58 PM
is this (http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/ibkg4/ibg4-mem-cip1.pdf) the user manual that you've read?

It seems fairly straight forward... i've replaced ram in a 15" Tibook which uses a similar method.

maclover
8th November 2005, 04:04 PM
OK then i will try again.
The prob is not really installing the memory - just getting the keyboard up....

I am really annoyed about that esc key........ thats gonna annoy me forever....

Can it be fixed?

Disko
8th November 2005, 04:12 PM
It depends on how you broke the Esc key. if you've broken plastic.... then it doesn't look good.

maclover
8th November 2005, 04:16 PM
The key is not snapped, its just behind it thats wonky...

I STILL cant get the keyboard to pop up...
I can get the sides up but it gets snagged on the middle part, where the lock thingy is.. I have tried having the lock thing facing horizontal and vertical, but neither work.. anyone know whats happening?

Thom
8th November 2005, 04:22 PM
The keyboard lock isn't very clear- pull up the corners gently and slip a piece of paper under each to stop it clicking back into place then turn the lock as far as you can in both directions... at some point it will release and you cen get into the guts of your machine.

Good luck!

maclover
8th November 2005, 05:18 PM
still doesent work - i think there might be a problem.
i will have to go to my reseller.........

any other advice?

btw - i fixed the keys