PDA

View Full Version : Forced Shutdown

Mongrel
1st June 2011, 02:38 PM
So today my MacBook Pro did something I have never seen before (this is my second MBP). It was like a curtain of grey coming down the screen, slowly and then when it got to the bottom a box came up telling me that I had to shut down. It was in a few different languages too.

I have never seen this before - any idea what can this sort of thing?

Cheers
-J

Fish001
1st June 2011, 02:50 PM
This happens to me reasonably regularly, but in bursts, such as three or four times in a week and then not at all for several weeks. I'm pretty good at working out causes for problems but this has me stumped, the closest I have been able to tell is that it may have something to do with my power source. For example, it has never happened to me when my machine is at my office, only ever at home, and when at home, it seems like only when I am using a power board in the wall socket.

Mongrel
1st June 2011, 02:53 PM
Hmm Very strange. I have owned MBPs for the last 5 years and have never seen it. I hope it is not the start of something bad. :(

silverbelt
1st June 2011, 03:07 PM
I got this a little while after I replaced the RAM in my MBP. I think it's a kernel panic: the point at which there's no recovery but to shut down and start again. I'm not an expert on the subject, just happened to read about it on the Apple docos I think, but if it happens frequently and/or regularly, get it looked at by Apple (especially if it's under warranty). If it doesn't ever happen again, chalk it up to a dodgy app running.

I got this solely running Adium AFTER I swapped my RAM. Now that I don't use Adium anymore, I haven't had the issue. Note that I didn't have any issue with Adium before the swap.

Hope that helped.

Mongrel
1st June 2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys,

It's under warranty alright, but hopefully it does not happen again.

Cheers
-J

Buttercup
1st June 2011, 04:57 PM
I have had this happen when I've forgotten to disconnect the mobile b'band connection before shutting down. The grey screen drops down and tells me, in everything from Korean to Urdu, I have to restart. I don't bother, just start up as usual next time I use the laptop.
Cheers, Jen

mitty
1st June 2011, 05:01 PM
I think this is the Mac equivalent of the Windows Blue Screen of Death. I've only ever seen it prior to owning a real Mac when I was fooling around with Hackintosh, which I deduced was more pain than it was worth so I just bought a real Mac. If you are seeing it on a real Mac however I'd imagine either there's something dodgy going on with some software you've installed, or otherwise you might have a hardware issue such as faulty RAM.

the8thark
1st June 2011, 06:36 PM
This is called a "Kernel Panic".
"You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6) (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742)
And that link from Apple describes what to do about them if you get one. And exactly how to troubleshoot them.

I've only ever had one in my life. On this Mac. From a dodgy blank cd I used. I don't know why but changing cd brands seemed to fix the issue and it never came back again.

nightelves
1st June 2011, 10:32 PM
This is called a "Kernel Panic".
"You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6) (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742)
And that link from Apple describes what to do about them if you get one. And exactly how to troubleshoot them.

I've only ever had one in my life. On this Mac. From a dodgy blank cd I used. I don't know why but changing cd brands seemed to fix the issue and it never came back again.

Dammit if only I knew about this back then. Would save me heaps of trouble. I couldn't find a solution to the problem and end up using Windows bootcamp only to have my computer not been able to turn on again.