PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 10.4.3 sllloooww boot up

jeremy_warnock
7th November 2005, 08:28 PM
I have a 15 inch power book 1.67 Ghz 512Ram about ohhhh 4 months old I guess, I'm an avid software updater and installed 10.4.3 the day it was released, since then I have noticed a big increase in boot time - once she's running everything seems normal, its just the boot time.

I know of many ways you can improve boot performace on a windows machine, shutting non required services and the like. Can anyone point me in the right direction to do the same with 10.4.3??? The machine is only used on a home wireless network so if i cant shut so stuff down that will decrease boot time that would be great

Thanks for your time guys!

Maticks
7th November 2005, 08:33 PM
join the club :)
my powerbook runs like a dog when i boot it up
takes about 2-3 minutes longer before i get my login screen, enough time to make a coffee sit back down and its ready to login. :)

Gothikon
7th November 2005, 08:34 PM
There is generally not a lot of need to do stuff like that on a Mac.

However my real question is why are you shutting the machine down?

I've had my PowerBook for almost a year now and in that time I think I've shut it down once deliberately and once because I let the battery run out whilst it was sleeping. I only restart my machine when a software update requires it, or it's totally spacking out which isn't often and I've had no problems. It's sleeping overnight and when I commute to and from work.

BTW my machine takes 2 minutes max when I start it up. It does seem to take a lot longer to get from the grey screen to the spinner than my Cube. I know that on older Macs the very first thing they did when you turned them on was test the memory and you could disable this, I'm not sure what an OS X machine is doing during this stage though. Once the spinner has appeared the rest of the startup sequence goes very quickly.

Actually i think it might be scanning the disk at that stage, perhaps running onyx and disk repair might help. I honestly don't think there is anything you need to disable though.

jeremy_warnock
7th November 2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks Gothikon,

Im a domain admin for a windows enviroment so the shuting down is an inbuilt thing from years of crappy buggy sofware - I do use sleep during the day and when Im away from shaorter periods I just shut down at night. I do think you have a point, my redhat box at home gets shut down only when I upgrade the version so about once 12 to 18 months - most sofwtare updates for that you just restart the service. Perhaps Ill buy some more ram and leave it on

purana
7th November 2005, 09:09 PM
psst...

My wifes did the same thing when installing 10.4.3, and no I dont know how to fix it. Guess we wait for the next few patches. Certainly is in my opinion alot slower to boot and give desktop.

Maticks
7th November 2005, 09:19 PM
it seems to be doing something with spotlight, its fine on my G5.
Just my powerbook.