PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Southland (Melb)

Mecha
22nd May 2011, 03:32 PM
Was told by someone from Westfield that this will be the location for an upcoming Apple store inside Southland.

They expect an extra 1.5mill in foot traffic. (No idea if that's per, week, month, year...)

Here are some photos from the outside:
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3674/photo5bb.jpg

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1354/photo4au.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1117/photo3fke.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3306/photo1nf.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1958/photo2uh.jpg

Just some notes on the location:
It's on the second level of the Bridge (the section of Southland that goes over Nepean Hwy)
It's surrounded by a lot of upmarket fashion stores.

To the far left is Myer. To the right are stores like Country Road etc.

gareth
23rd May 2011, 08:14 PM
i hope so, theres definitely another store coming.

mitty
23rd May 2011, 08:22 PM
FFS Apple... CBD. Can we have one store that's reasonably simple to get to by public transport?

jesse
23rd May 2011, 09:00 PM
FFS Apple... CBD. Can we have one store that's reasonably simple to get to by public transport?

They're building a train station at Southland, between Heighett and Cheltenham on the Frankston line :)

gumby08
23rd May 2011, 09:23 PM

Sorry Mitty, but I'm finding it hard to feel too much sympathy. As an inhabitant of the nation's capital, my closest Apple Store is 300km away!:cry:

mitty
24th May 2011, 09:13 PM
They're building a train station at Southland, between Heighett and Cheltenham on the Frankston line :)

I wonder what will get built first, that train station or a CBD Apple Store. I'm willing to bet the latter. I'll be surprised if it gets built before the next State Election.

Daviddc
24th May 2011, 09:57 PM
gumby08 You're lucky, my closest iPod & iPad seller is 50km, the nearest dealer is 100km, the nearest Apple Store is 500km in Melbourne, but people in far Qld, WA or NT are even more worse off, so we just have to use the refurb store :-(

Ecto1
25th May 2011, 02:00 PM
It's been confirmed. Westfields Southland confirms Apple Store opening (http://www.macworld.com.au/news/westfields-southland-confirms-apple-store-opening-30499/)

OziMac
25th May 2011, 03:44 PM
*Slow clap*

In a bit of selfishness, I have to say this pleases me solely for the fact that this is closer to me than either Doncaster or Chadstone.

However, I echo mitty's concern - Apple needs to get into the CBD pronto as servicing the suburbs is nothing on the concentration of consumer interest and foot traffic in the city.

nibbles
25th May 2011, 06:54 PM
My nearest apple store is 164km away according to google maps, my closest apple retailer is 36km away. My closest authorised service provider is 50km away, carrying a 13.5kg iMac in for a repair... NOT FUN as you have to park about 600m from the store.

gareth
26th May 2011, 02:35 AM
i live near southland so im happy.

Mecha
26th May 2011, 01:23 PM
I'm sure the CBD isn't too far off.

It's all about the location.

snark
26th May 2011, 08:22 PM
I'm sure the CBD isn't too far off.

It's all about the location.

But where will it be? Every time I go past the T-shop on Bourke & Swanston, I think 'why isn't this the flagship Apple store?'

mitty
26th May 2011, 09:06 PM
i live near southland so im happy.

Well I guess you deserve something for having to put up with the Frankston Line ;)

andyrb
27th May 2011, 01:03 AM
I find it interesting that Southland is the next location. Not saying that there is anything wrong with it, but it's relatively close to the existing Chadstone store.

Mecha
27th May 2011, 01:06 AM
Chadstone, Doncaster and Southland are the states 3 biggest shopping centres.

Plus, if you have been into the Chadstone store recently, they are still getting absolutely hammered.

andyrb
1st June 2011, 09:32 PM
I was in the Bourke St Mall last night, and there's a large shopfront undergoing some sort of facade work near the corner of Swanston St. The insides are being gutted as well.

Made me wonder if this will be an Apple store.

mitty
1st June 2011, 11:00 PM
^That's Zara. It'd be a great place for an Apple Store, but sadly no.

Meanwhile, where's H&M.

Ecto1
4th June 2011, 08:41 PM
Apple now has Southland listed in the Apple retail store job's page. Must be only months away.

kerr
10th June 2011, 03:36 AM
How about Apple take over the soon-to-be-empty Borders shop in Lygon Court, Lygon Street, just next to Cinema Nova? Great location, for me anyway, though it would take business away from Melbourne Uni Next Byte.

OziMac
16th July 2011, 11:28 PM
Walked past the Southland location again today - previously there had been no indication of what was to come there (unlike all of the other 'Coming soon to Westfield' signs on the other store construction sites), but we've finally got our Apple logo, which means it's not far off.

http://i.imgur.com/GjOlE.jpg

Be nice if it opened next week in time for Lion, but that's probably doubtful. I'd be surprised if it weren't this month though - and certainly well before the iPhone update, whenever that is.

mitty
21st July 2011, 12:50 PM
Insert (another) obligatory Mitty bitching about a lack of Apple store in the Melbourne CBD post here.

forno
21st July 2011, 01:01 PM
+1 .

OziMac
21st July 2011, 01:09 PM
Insert (another) obligatory Mitty bitching about a lack of Apple store in the Melbourne CBD post here.

I'm right with you on that - so much redevelopment in the city at the moment, it's not like there haven't been plenty of opportunities. But as I live close to this one, I'll refrain from being bitchy. ;)

Seems like it was about 3 weeks between these boards going up at Penrith to the store opening, and I'm not sure how long they've been this way. So I reckon this should be opening will probably be on 6 August, though if we're lucky maybe 30 July.

OziMac
30th July 2011, 03:50 PM
I feel like I'm talking to myself here a little, but here's the weekly update - bright lights on inside the barricade, no WiFi network yet, site door unlocked but not open - didn't want to be that person taking a peek inside, but there's clearly a lot of stuff going on there, and I'd be surprised if it didn't open next Saturday or the one following.

maghemi
1st August 2011, 03:49 PM
Yay.... an apple store in the bogan shopping centre. Be far too many school kids acting like morons like the rest of Southland. Still could be handy. I'm pretty much exactly half way between Southland and Chadstone. Only go to Southland when Chaddy doesn't have what I need.

And I agree. They desperately need a CBD store. I'm surprised there isn't already.

OziMac
1st August 2011, 04:08 PM
Yay.... an apple store in the bogan shopping centre. Be far too many school kids acting like morons like the rest of Southland.

Wow, if Southland is the bogan shopping centre, there are a few others I'd hope you don't find yourself in need of visiting! Then again, they did use it as the location for Kath and Kim's "Fountain Gate" shopping centre instead of the real one. ;)

I'm pretty much exactly half way between Southland and Chadstone. Only go to Southland when Chaddy doesn't have what I need.

Same - but I'd reverse the order. Can't imagine anything that Southland has that Chaddy doesn't. TGI Fridays and a Village cinema perhaps. :p

wholikespotatoes
1st August 2011, 04:23 PM
I feel like I'm talking to myself here a little

Nope, I'm listening!

I did also notice that they recently branded the black barricades with the Apple logo... so yeah cant be too far off

rss123
1st August 2011, 05:50 PM
Walked pass there today. Door was slightly open, but there was a brown sheet covering the store :(

iLeon
2nd August 2011, 05:47 PM
take a look at this link Apple Store Melbourne CBD | Lonsdale Street, Melbourne Apple Store (http://www.theage.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-store-set-to-gobble-up-art-deco-landmark-20090810-efbh.html) it says that there is a Apple store opening on Lonsdale st at the end of 2012. Really happy thought that there is a apple store opening in Southland, but there are too many stupid students that will be packing the store.

wholikespotatoes
2nd August 2011, 07:53 PM
take a look at this link Apple Store Melbourne CBD | Lonsdale Street, Melbourne Apple Store (http://www.theage.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-store-set-to-gobble-up-art-deco-landmark-20090810-efbh.html) it says that there is a Apple store opening on Lonsdale st at the end of 2012. Really happy thought that there is a apple store opening in Southland, but there are too many stupid students that will be packing the store.

That isn't so much a concrete confirmation about a CDB Apple Store, sounds like it's just the developers saying that an Apple Store would fit the centre. Apple Stores are quite often included as 'hero' stores in mock-up drawings. All that said though, the article does make it seem like it is a strong possibility. Won't believe anything until it comes from Apple's mouth.

OziMac
2nd August 2011, 08:39 PM
As much as it would be great if it turns out to be true, that article was written two years ago.

In that time there's been speculation of stores in Bourke Street, Collins Street, South Yarra (in two places), Carlton, Geelong, Highpoint, South Melbourne / Crown - with only two actual stores opening in Chadstone and Doncaster, and nothing in over two years since (compared to the storefest they're having over in Sydney). And that's not even getting started on the rest of the country.

After all that, bogan as it may be, I'm just glad to see another one go up nearby at last.

[EDIT] And like clockwork, here comes an article regarding the start of construction on emporium. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us yet. ;)

Retail's confidence builder (http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/retails-confidence-builder-20110802-1i9pq.html)

iLeon
4th August 2011, 06:30 PM
when do you guys think the Apple store will open in Southland?

OziMac
8th August 2011, 01:28 AM
Well, I know this is incredibly lame, but in my current zonked state of mind I happened to accidentally check to see what was at apple.com/au/southland (when I should have been checking apple.com/au/retail/southland); and while I still got the "Hmm, the page you're looking for can't be found", it did forward me to the latter address.

This doesn't work for any random terms or made up locations - it doesn't even work for Brisbane or Hornsby, which are the other acknowledged upcoming stores - so I'm starting to get a good feeling about Saturday 13 August... ;)

Mecha
8th August 2011, 02:17 AM
As much as it would be great if it turns out to be true, that article was written two years ago.

In that time there's been speculation of stores in Bourke Street, Collins Street, South Yarra (in two places), Carlton, Geelong, Highpoint, South Melbourne / Crown - with only two actual stores opening in Chadstone and Doncaster, and nothing in over two years since (compared to the storefest they're having over in Sydney). And that's not even getting started on the rest of the country.

After all that, bogan as it may be, I'm just glad to see another one go up nearby at last.

[EDIT] And like clockwork, here comes an article regarding the start of construction on emporium. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us yet. ;)

Retail's confidence builder (http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/retails-confidence-builder-20110802-1i9pq.html)

At ground level, the plan is to completely activate the street with boutique retailers, in Lonsdale and Little Bourke streets. A typical store is 100-150 sq m. However, the developers aim to attract concept stores - including large flagship stores - that will take up to 1500 sq m of space over several levels.
The ground floor will consist of well-known, casual international and high-profile national brands, while ''high street'' international brands will front Lonsdale and Little Bourke streets. Inside the store will be a ''racetrack'' mall - a rectangle in the middle of the floor with tenancies either side.

I think it would be crazy to think Apple are not looking into this.

so I'm starting to get a good feeling about Saturday 13 August... ;)

What have been the indicators that a new store is about to open in the past? I always felt that we had some kind official word since people always seem to know when to line up.

OziMac
8th August 2011, 07:19 AM
What have been the indicators that a new store is about to open in the past? I always felt that we had some kind official word since people always seem to know when to line up.

Nothing except that page going up a few days before the opening with the promise of free t-shirts, at which stage construction would still not be complete (some sort of mad dash towards the end would take place over the final two days).

AFAICT from recent shopping centre store experience, the first sign is the unmarked black boards, which stay that way for a few weeks, followed by a few weeks adorned with the logo, followed by what I described above. It's nearly a month since that logo went up, so I'd be very surprised if they held out much longer (but hey, they do weirder stuff still, like not opening up in the CBD!). :)

OziMac
9th August 2011, 08:01 AM
What can I say? Nailed it!

Apple Retail Store - Southland (http://www.apple.com/au/retail/southland/)

Opening 10am Saturday 13 August. ;)

[EDIT] It is the same time/day as the One More Thing conference, so I'm guessing the turn out from MT will be low and decryption's cheerful presence will be missed. They inconsiderately opened the last Apple Store in Melbourne on the day I got married, FWIW. ;)

OziMac
13th August 2011, 10:09 PM
Given the palpable silence on this thread, I thought I'd take it easy and rocked up at 9am this morning only to find a good 100 or so people already there in the queue. I had expected a depleted MTAU contingent due to One More Thing, but these guys definitely appeared from somewhere.

The usual histrionics followed (yes, getting a bit tired of the high fiving crazy talk) and they got through the queue remarkably quickly. Even though I had a feeling that people were just turning up for the tshirt, I actually think quite a lot of the diaspora of people either just love Apple products (not as insanely as we do of course!) or we're just excited to see the store open. As much as I hate the queuing, I thought it was nice there today, and it appeared that everyone who waited managed to get a tshirt and grand opening guide. There were a few freebies floating around (coffee vouchers and such) but thankfully no mainstream media - though Apple(?) did seem to have a horde of photographers and a camera crew floating about.

The store is wider than I expected (wider than Chaddy), with four rows of display tables. A bit like Doncaster, without the open space in the middle. MacWorld reckons the ceilings are low, but I didn't notice it. Other than that, not much to report. Just glad that there's another Genius Bar nearby to take the load off the others. Shame I bought my latest batch of Macs last week from the DSE up the stairs but oh well.

I have some pics that I might post later, but nothing exciting that you can't see elsewhere.