PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone MicroSim works overseas ?

LevMac
19th May 2011, 08:07 PM
Guys im thinking about topping up my Micro Sim for my iPad which is through Vodafone at the moment, im travelling overseas next week, I know it will be cost worthy to buy from overseas, but I just want to make sure everything works, so im thinking to top up my current Vodafone sim, I know I will run through data quickly, but surely 12GB should be plenty ?

Exocet
19th May 2011, 08:21 PM
Data that you buy in Australia is only for use within Australia. It cannot be used overseas.

johnq
19th May 2011, 10:05 PM
And if it did the roaming rates woul render almost worthless! You will be better off looking for free wifi, which are abundant in many countries.

Huy
19th May 2011, 10:42 PM
What Exocet said.

It won't work overseas. Domestic data only.

I've tried this myself in S. Korea with an aussie 3G iPad (on Telstra).

mitty
19th May 2011, 10:48 PM
There was a rather nice loophole with NextG working in Japan... at the normal rates, which was simply awesome when a certain person was there last year. no idea if that loophole is still open or not.

LevMac
20th May 2011, 02:46 PM
Just another question...

Let's say I buy a prepaid micro sim overseas, when I connect my iPad to iTunes on a computer, is that going to mean im gonna loose all my content on my iPad ? :(

Mctastic
20th May 2011, 03:01 PM
look into doing this while your in Australia: Handset unlock (https://unlock.vodafone.com.au/voila/handsetunlock/self-service.html;jsessionid=081A44ABEC8F120E9D252D1D3A 002728?method=selectService)
This is a link i discovered after i returned from my holiday(nightmare without my iphone). Pretty sure it applies to ipad as well.

Add: oh yea, .. for the sake of using a different SIM overseas. Then theres the requirement of registering the new sim in the device, .. required a restore, .. check into this detail :p

LevMac
20th May 2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks Mctastic,

I actually just checked with Vodafone, and my prepaid data sim in my iPad will definately work, but obviously will get charged almost double the rate while overseas, I don't mind though as I still have over 6GB remaining on it which should get me through :)

Mctastic
20th May 2011, 03:14 PM
Do the unlock, anyway. It's free, why not, lol. Geez, i'm still feeling the pain from having to use a Phoney Eviction overseas, .. *oww*

Tom125
26th May 2011, 10:09 PM
Just another question...

Let's say I buy a prepaid micro sim overseas, when I connect my iPad to iTunes on a computer, is that going to mean im gonna loose all my content on my iPad ? :(

I am travelling in Europe and bought prepaid Vodafone sims in both the UK (10 for 250Mb) and Ireland (10 for a week's pass) and both worked straight away without having to connect the iPad to iTunes. However even if you do sync you won't lose data. It might push a carrier update that fixes APN etc but in my case the APN changed itself as soon as I inserted the SIM.

Do the unlock, anyway. It's free, why not, lol. Geez, i'm still feeling the pain from having to use a Phoney Eviction overseas, .. *oww*
I thought iPads were not carrier locked. Certainly if you buy them from the apple store they are not.

Huy
28th May 2011, 11:39 PM
iPads are unlocked.

Pretty sure Mctastic was thinking this is for iPhone.