PDA

View Full Version : To buy an iPad or a get a SSD for my MacBook Pro?

birdd
5th May 2011, 08:40 AM
I've been planning for the last while to get 8Gb RAM, and a SSD drive for my MacBook Pro, now a couple of weeks ago I got the 8Gb Ram, and I'm loving it... and then I've been planning and saving to get a SSD for it next...

But I was in my local Big W at lunch yesterday wandering around and I noticed they now have the new iPad 2... since then its got me thinking again whether I should grab an iPad...

I'm leaning towards getting an iPad atm as its a whole new device which will open new experiences and features, whereas the SSD will do the same thing my current hdd does just faster... Also the iPad is unlikely to drop much in price, whereas the SSD's will only get cheaper, faster and larger capacity...

Now I haven't used an iPad yet and don't have a local Apple store to try one (only got Big W, Kmart, etc) but I do love my iPhone 3GS and I've noticed a bigger screen and some of the iPad specific apps might be really good... I know I could use it at work with my web-based IT helpdesk "software" (custom coded by me...) (I'm an IT Tech at 5 primary schools). Other things I think it would be good for are stuff like the RSS feed readers, eBooks... and the larger screen would allow me to use it to do some of the stuff I use my MBP for in bed, such as surfing the web/forums/etc, watching podcasts, email... also for fun stuff like garage band, imovie, etc... I just want to make sure I will use it, and not just have it as an expensive toy...

Now as far as which model to get that's the next thing I'm not sure about... I think I'd probably go for a 32Gb model, with my iPhone 3Gs I'm glad I went the 32Gb model otherwise I would have to reduce the amount of apps (which I've done a clean out recently anyway) or reduce the amount of podcasts etc that i sync to the iphone... So i think I'd be better of going with the 32GB iPad...

Now I'm not sure whether to go for the 3G/WiFi or WiFi only... I have 1Gb of Data with my iPhone 3GS through Telstra, and I could upgrade to 2Gb if i needed, but I rarely use much of that now anyway as most of the time I download app updates at home on WiFi... So I'm not sure if it would be handy to have 3G built-in to iPad (which would mean another data plan, prepaid most likely... but still another...) or whether just tethering all the time would be fine...

Now afaik the 3G version is the only one with the GPS, which is something that I think would be quite handy... a huge screen for GPS would be better than the iPhone... I have seen mentioned that when the iPhone is tethered to iPad it passes the GPS data, but I'm unsure if thats only iPhone 4 or whether that will work with the iPhone 3GS tethered by BlueTooth to the iPad?

Now as far as purchasing... I was wondering if it would be a good idea to import one from the US with such strong US dollar atm, I had a brief look at PriceUSA last night and it looked a bit cheaper for the iPad 16Gb Wifi model they had listed on their website... But can you get the 3G version from the US and use it Australia? or are the carrier locked like the US iPhone? I'm guessing the AT+T version would be the one to get as its the AT+T iPhone that we use in Aus (esp with NextG on 850Mhz)

or is there a cheaper place than direct from Apple to get it in Aus?

Brentnal
5th May 2011, 05:19 PM
As far as I'm aware the only way to share the cellular data connection between and iPhone and iPad is through the wireless hotspot only available on the iPhone 4. I could be wrong but something that you may want to double check before your purchase.

Stez
5th May 2011, 05:26 PM
iPad's also get cheaper, faster and more capacity. They're updated yearly. But yeah iPad 2. It's a no-brainer.

davemc
5th May 2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah was going to put a SSD in my old macbook. Kept reading some are no good, failure rates etc. So just got the iPad 2.. A lot faster then my wifes, although few things I do not like.
Really the SSD will get you faster boot times and faster app loading. Its quieter not much more.

Cons: No true multitasking, no flash (yeah I know it supposed to be going just tell the more once a week websites I cannot access he he), typing is not as great as a laptop.
Pros: games, instant on or very close to, battery life is great compared to my 2006 macbook.

With GPS.. a lot of GPS apps not native on iPad so it becomes zoomed.
Just tried with hotspot wifi on my iphone4 did not wifi iPad had no GPS..
Tried bluetooth same thing.might be a way around this. does not worry me personally.

gehenna
5th May 2011, 07:20 PM
I am just gaga for my SSD. Two weeks after installing and it still blows my mind :)

mitty
5th May 2011, 08:58 PM
You can use your 3GS to hotspot to the ipad via Bluetooth. Works just fine.

birdd
6th May 2011, 08:07 AM
You can use your 3GS to hotspot to the ipad via Bluetooth. Works just fine.

Yeah that's what I thought... but does it also pass the GPS info as well or is that an iPhone 4 only feature?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the iPad 32Gb 3G+WiFi which Big W want $818, but then its "only" $898 for the 64Gb model, so if I'm going to spend the money, I'm probably best to go with the 64Gb as its not that much more...

Dunno...

BoxDog
6th May 2011, 11:15 AM
I just installed a Vertex 3 in my '11 MBP. It absolutely screams. About 5-6 seconds from when the spinner appears under the apple logo at boot to an operational desktop. Of course, having 8Gb helps even more..This thing is an absolute screamer, I'm really, really happy with it!

Connecting it to my U2711 Dell is even more fun ;)

decryption
6th May 2011, 11:46 AM
Buy both :D

Vertex 3 120GB SSD - $350
iPad 2, 16GB, 3G - $729

$1060 and then you don't have to decide!