PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Stolen!

mbd
5th November 2005, 08:27 AM
Hi,

A friend of mine had his almost new 1.5ghz G4 Powerbook stolen from his shop in Melbourne CBD on thursday. It was behind the counter out of the way of customer traffic, yet someone managed to sneak in behind the counter grab it and go. (Needless to say he'll use a kensington lock next time).

It's been reported to the police, and to Apple.

Anyway, if anyone comes across a suspect powerbook 15" combo drive unit with a serial number W851325FRG3, please get in touch.

As an aside, since ATAU is such a dominant resource for the Australian mac community, maybe it would be good to have a forum or other list for stolen apple hardware? I know I've seen a couple of other posts regarding stolen hardware in the past on here.

cheers

BiRDBRAiN
5th November 2005, 09:27 AM
Maybe just a thread that can be made 'sticky' where people can post a brief description and serial numbers of stolen items, so we can refer to it if we come across any hardware for sale.

I am SO sorry to hear about this theft :(

I think I would cry if my Powerbook was stolen.

arty
5th November 2005, 09:56 AM
Just to let you know that I checked Apple's service database and it is registered as stolen. This means if it ever gets repairs at an Apple Service Centre it should get picked up.

Not that it helps your friend, but at least you know they stole a machine that can now not be fixed if it goes wrong

marc
5th November 2005, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hear that RF.

I am glad to find out that Apple has stolen registry. It's *some* comfort. If every stolen item gets reported then it'll be much harder to sell stolen goods...

Maticks
5th November 2005, 11:54 AM
im suprised that apple dont have ads on the itunes music store.
"have you seen this powerbook" lol
:)
I think Disko if your reading this you should make conditional to sales on apple hardware in the trading forum that the serial number must be provided.
At least some people here do work for apple who might check items and post if they're marked stolen.

IIe2PB
5th November 2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by arty@Nov 5 2005, 09:56 AM
Just to let you know that I checked Apple's service database and it is registered as stolen. This means if it ever gets repairs at an Apple Service Centre it should get picked up.

Not that it helps your friend, but at least you know they stole a machine that can now not be fixed if it goes wrong
That's very impressive that apple keep track of stolen machines :)

gelfie
5th November 2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by arty@Nov 5 2005, 09:56 AM
And, lets face it, with Apple's current reliability track record you're virtually guaranteed to get it back!

Wheels
5th November 2005, 10:07 PM
Does Apple also do this with their other products besides the laptops?

Rayd
5th November 2005, 10:46 PM
where did you find that apple registered it as stolen? i checked GSX, and it gives no sign that it is stolen... is it a diferent part?

Febs
6th November 2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by gelfie@Nov 5 2005, 08:32 PM
And, lets face it, with Apple's current reliability track record you're virtually guaranteed to get it back!
Gold!

(But sadly true :().

Cheers,
- Febs.