PDA

View Full Version : After one year, is Flash really relevant

sirstaunch
3rd May 2011, 01:51 AM
This ZdNet blogger really puts the final word on Adobe Flash on Mobile Devices, well Ok, not final, but gets it to the point...
One year after iPad: Is Adobe Flash still relevant? | ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/one-year-after-ipad-is-adobe-flash-still-relevant/16967?tag=nl.e539)

woofy
3rd May 2011, 02:34 PM
I still regularly bash my head when hitting websites that only function with Flash. There are a lot out there, and companies aren't going to change it quickly when it means and entire website to be remade.

Alec Fraser
4th May 2011, 08:58 AM
I still regularly bash my head when hitting websites that only function with Flash. There are a lot out there, and companies aren't going to change it quickly when it means and entire website to be remade.

Same here. It's particularly annoying when you hit an Apple news site like TUAW and half the videos are from Vimeo or some other site that doesn't work with iOS.

Lutze
4th May 2011, 01:17 PM
My view on sites that don't update to HTML5 / iOS device versions (where they are available) is to stop visiting them. AOL sites (like TUAW) are best hit directly by not giving them advertising revenue - email them and say your moving away because even though they are an apple related blog they've still not moved past Flash.

I've done a Gruber and removed flash entirely from my computer. I still have *the back up plan* (chrome) but that's it.

dezinerau
9th May 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm with Lutze. Most new browsers support the HTML5 specification for video so there's no reason sites should be sticking with Flash if they want full compatibility. The only reason they do stick with Flash is for DRM. I don't want to steal crap short videos so any site that would treat me as a thief simply for visiting them is a site I no longer visit.