PDA

View Full Version : Restoring iPhone factory settings?

youngin
1st May 2011, 05:41 PM
Hi all,

this has probably been asked a million times (yet i couldn't find a thread)..

i want to restore my iPhone 3G, but i am wandering if i can re-sync all the apps, music, notes, etc that are stored in my itunes back onto it again? Or will it delete everything? :confused:

btw the reson for me wanting to do this is that my iPod is stuck on shuffle constantly and it's shi**ing me up the wall! :)

Thanks!

Huy
1st May 2011, 05:51 PM
1. Get your phone and hook it up to iTunes.
2. Once connected, right-click on the device in the list and select 'Backup'. You might also want to do the rest while you're there too for safety such as 'Sync' and 'Transfer purchases'.
3. Restore the iPhone either through iTunes (hit the 'Restore' button when the device is connected) or on the handset by going to 'Settings' > 'General' > 'Reset' > 'Erase All Content and Settings').
4. When finished, you'll be asked to restore from backup or set up as a new phone. Pick the second option (backup) and select the backup. It should be the one from Step 2 (note the date/time).

It will only delete everything from the iPhone, not your iTunes library/backups there. Sync and backup first before you do anything.

You can see a list of backups inside iTunes by going to:
'iTunes' > 'Preferences' > 'Devices'

Note the date/time of the backup as well as the device name if you have many iPhones/iPads/iPods etc.

youngin
1st May 2011, 11:00 PM
1. Get your phone and hook it up to iTunes.
2. Once connected, right-click on the device in the list and select 'Backup'. You might also want to do the rest while you're there too for safety such as 'Sync' and 'Transfer purchases'.
3. Restore the iPhone either through iTunes (hit the 'Restore' button when the device is connected) or on the handset by going to 'Settings' > 'General' > 'Reset' > 'Erase All Content and Settings').
4. When finished, you'll be asked to restore from backup or set up as a new phone. Pick the second option (backup) and select the backup. It should be the one from Step 2 (note the date/time).

It will only delete everything from the iPhone, not your iTunes library/backups there. Sync and backup first before you do anything.

You can see a list of backups inside iTunes by going to:
'iTunes' > 'Preferences' > 'Devices'

Note the date/time of the backup as well as the device name if you have many iPhones/iPads/iPods etc.

Awesome! thanks very much

youngin
2nd May 2011, 09:03 AM
Well my iPod is still stuck on shuffle:confused: any ideas how to fix that?

cheers

EDIT: fixed

Huy
3rd May 2011, 10:21 PM
^ When you use the same Apple ID. :)

Just making it clear since you might have multiple IDs or share it (it happens).

youngin
4th May 2011, 12:12 AM
Not completelly following.. :)

bennyling
20th February 2013, 11:43 PM
You should create a backup for your iPhone files. This is because if you restore to factory settings, everything will be lost.

Super-old thread dig, but if you've been syncing with iTunes on a semi-regular basis that should happen automatically anyway.

My only advice is: if you've been backing up to iCloud, I'd do a manual backup to iTunes anyway before attempting any kind of restore to factory settings just in case the iCloud backup goes belly-up and you don't manage to restore anything from the intertubes.

appcater
7th March 2013, 08:43 PM
Step 1

Launch the iPhone's Settings application by tapping its icon on the home screen.
Step 2

Select the "General" option, followed by "Reset."
Step 3

Tap the "Erase All Content and Settings" button.
Step 4

Tap the red "Erase iPhone" button that appears at the bottom of the screen to confirm you want to wipe the iPhone. Depending on the model of iPhone and the firmware version, erasure can take up to an hour to complete.
Step 5

Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your computer, and launch the software once installation has completed.
Step 6

Connect the iPhone to the computer using its USB cable. ITunes will automatically detect that a blank iPhone has been connected.
Step 7

Click the "Set up as New" button in the iTunes pop-up box to finish resetting the iPhone to its factory settings.

MrJesseRoss
8th March 2013, 08:00 AM
Thread closed, is a spammer honeypot.