PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Macbook airs

rav3n
23rd April 2011, 04:34 PM
New macbook airs are supposedly on the way, with mass production to begin late may. Nothing really noteworthy, just cpu/gpu upgrades and the inclusion of thunderbolt.

Read here AppleInsider | Apple to begin production of Thunderbolt MacBook Airs next month (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/22/apple_to_begin_production_of_thunderbolt_macbook_a irs_next_month.html)

icant
23rd April 2011, 05:45 PM
It would be the first time a MacBook Air can use Target Disk Mode—in the event a compatible cable shows up.

idiesel
12th June 2011, 09:43 PM
Sandy bridge as well? (http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/11/apple-boots-sandy-bridge-based-macbook-air-into-mass-production/)

rav3n
12th June 2011, 10:01 PM
The folk over at macrumors are pretty confident that we'll be seeing them on wednesday (thursday for us here)

the8thark
13th June 2011, 09:15 AM
CORRECTION: Source had mixed up part numbers, it is unlocked iPhones that will be headed to US Apple Stores for Wednesday, NOT MacBook Airs.
New MacBook Air Due This Wednesday? [Updatedx4 - Nope] - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/)

Looks like no new MBA's on Wednesday/Thursday.

Nick_D
14th June 2011, 12:17 AM
I rather wait for it to come out with Lion. A Lion recovery stick would be nice to have, if they include one.

OziMac
14th June 2011, 12:23 AM
New MacBook Air Due This Wednesday? [Updatedx4 - Nope] - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/)

Looks like no new MBA's on Wednesday/Thursday.

So frustrating - just couldn't justify getting a MBA with the imminent update, but it not being this week, I'm out.

I threw in the towel and got a MBP; will just have to pimp it out with RAM and an SSD and pretend it's as light and thin as a MBA. On the off chance, I might not open it until the 14 day return period is up. ;)

Nick_D
18th June 2011, 01:29 PM
Well, it looks like it won't ship until Lion's out:

Apple holding new Mac hardware updates until OSX Lion launches (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-holding-new-mac-hardware-updates-until-os-x-lion-launches/)

idiesel
18th June 2011, 07:46 PM
makes sense

Geoff3DMN
18th June 2011, 07:50 PM
I'm hoping that they finally release a model with a backlit keyboard, they've been useless to me since they went to the new shape and our old one is dying!

Nick_D
18th June 2011, 11:17 PM
A backlit keyboard would be nice, but I won't mind if it's not there. Hope it comes with at least 4GB RAM, though.

gareth
19th June 2011, 12:58 AM
dont forget the HD isight camera :)

jesse
13th July 2011, 01:15 PM
they finally release a model with a backlit keyboard, they've been useless to me since they went to the new shape

Useless? Woosh.

Steve_D
13th July 2011, 02:02 PM
Im hoping that they do upgrade the ram to 8GB.

I know that its not the roomiest machine but the extra grunt will mean that if it had the ram it would be a handy demo unit to take places. Instead of lugging around a full sized Macbook Pro.

On saying that though i REALLY hope they do an upgrade of the Macbook Pro sooner rather than later. I dont care about super thin, but thin enough so they can still stick a real HD (for large storage, ala the new iMacs) in there and they get rid of the DVD drive to do it..... and add dedicated graphics to the 13" already ffs..... oh and make it black :)

But thats just my wish list for both

iGobbleoff
13th July 2011, 02:49 PM
think i might have to get one for the missus (and myself)

dagaz
14th July 2011, 07:50 AM
I'm ready to upgrade my 2010 MacBook to either a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro. I'm 90% leaning towards a new Air, I'm just waiting to see what the specs are like when they're finally released. BTW, I don't recall a speed bump for a mac computer (rather than a redesign) getting so much airplay on the rumour mill. This update has had rumours going round since at least April.

glitch
14th July 2011, 08:28 AM
Im hoping that they do upgrade the ram to 8GB.

I know that its not the roomiest machine but the extra grunt will mean that if it had the ram it would be a handy demo unit to take places. Instead of lugging around a full sized Macbook Pro.

On saying that though i REALLY hope they do an upgrade of the Macbook Pro sooner rather than later. I dont care about super thin, but thin enough so they can still stick a real HD (for large storage, ala the new iMacs) in there and they get rid of the DVD drive to do it..... and add dedicated graphics to the 13" already ffs..... oh and make it black :)

But thats just my wish list for both

I dont think 8GB RAM is likely for MBA's, not sure there is any reason for it either. They fly with 4GB & the C2D processor with the SSD anyway, I run FCP, Adobe CS5 & W7 on mine with ease. Given their designed purpose I cant see much change other than the i5 processor and TB port.

dagaz
14th July 2011, 08:59 AM
If all the rumours are correct that Apple is upgrading all the Store computers to 4GB of RAM so that Lion plays nicely on them, I could see Apple upgrading all the base configs to be 4 GB RAM (minimum) with 8 GB a BTO option.

dagaz
15th July 2011, 08:47 PM
TUAW has a nice roundup of all the rumours here: MacBook Air rumour roundup (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/14/macbook-air-rumor-roundup-more-ram-bigger-ssd-launch-next-wee/).

So (let's see how many of these actually pan out) it will have:
1) Sandy Bridge processor
2) thunderbolt
3) backlit keyboard
4) base RAM of 4 GB (up from 2 GB)
5) base hard drive size of 128 GB (up from 64 GB)
6) will launch late next week (22nd or 23rd July)

If those are all true, I can see myself definitely buying one, but I can't help thinking at least some of them could be wishful thinking.

nibbles
17th July 2011, 04:11 PM
#6 Won't happen unless they either
a) Release Lion before hand
or
b) Put a pre-order system in, saying they'll ship on the release of Lion.

Geoff3DMN
18th July 2011, 06:10 PM
Useless? Woosh.

The MacBook Air we own is used as a night time couch/bed net browsing device in rooms with low to no light so yes a laptop without a backlit keyboard is useless to us!

OziMac
18th July 2011, 07:14 PM
TUAW has a nice roundup of all the rumours here: MacBook Air rumour roundup (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/14/macbook-air-rumor-roundup-more-ram-bigger-ssd-launch-next-wee/).

2) thunderbolt
3) backlit keyboard

If those are all true, I can see myself definitely buying one, but I can't help thinking at least some of them could be wishful thinking.

At this stage, I think that all of that is pretty reasonable. The price will be interesting - I got too excited and went ahead with a new purchase early, trying to put the above into a MBP (well, and 8GB RAM), for a little less than the current price of the MBA. While I love the new machine as it is ridiculously fast (probably much faster than the MBA would have been thanks to the SATA III drive), if the App Store price adjustments continue to flow over, I reckon I might have just the teensiest bits of buyer's remorse.

The MacBook Air we own is used as a night time couch/bed net browsing device in rooms with low to no light so yes a laptop without a backlit keyboard is useless to us!

Fair enough - personally I wouldn't call it useless, but the backlit keyboard on the original made it ideal for the purposes you mention, as well as the perfect road warrior. I didn't get one of the current models for that very reason, and would have dived in had it been available with a backlit keyboard earlier.

OziMac
20th July 2011, 07:05 PM
9to5mac are claiming a scoop from the famous Mr X:

Apple’s faster 13.3 inch and 11.6 inch MacBook Airs revealed | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence (http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/19/apples-faster-13-3-inch-and-11-6-inch-macbook-airs-revealed/)

11.6 inch models:

The base model will include a 1.6 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM, and 64GB of flash storage.
The more expensive standard configuration also includes a 1.6 GHz processor but upgrades the RAM to 4GB and the storage space to 128 GB.
A built to order model will also be available from the online store. This option includes a 1.8 GHz processor (first for an 11.6 inch MacBook Air), 4GB of RAM, and for the first time in an 11.6 inch MacBook Air, 256 GB of flash storage.

13.3 inch models:

The base standard configuration includes a 1.7 GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, and 128 GB of flash storage
The more expensive standard configuration also includes a 1.7 GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, but upgrades the storage to 256 GB.
A built to order option will also be available and this includes a 1.8 GHz chip, 4GB of RAM, and 256 GB of flash storage

No word about the backlit screen, but it seems not much has changed other than perhaps the CPU and RAM at the higher end (and Thunderbolt, naturally). Would be nice if the price was adjusted both in the US and here though.

Also Mac Minis:

New Mac mini and Mac mini Server specs revealed, 500 GB hard drives standard | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence (http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/19/new-mac-mini-and-mac-mini-server-specs-revealed-500-gb-hard-drives-standard/)

The new Mac minis:

The base model will include a 2.3 GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive storage space
The more expensive model will include a 2.5 GHz processor with 4GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space.
Finally, the new Mac mini line will also include a new server model with a 2.0 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM, and two 500GB hard drives of storage. This new server model should include OS X Lion server, but that’s just a reasonable assumption.

dagaz
20th July 2011, 08:29 PM
No word about the backlit screen...
I'm personally hoping for the backlit screen. If it is backlit I'm definitely getting a MacBook Air, if it's not backlit I'm going to have to weigh up pros and cons of an Air vs a Pro.

OziMac
20th July 2011, 08:30 PM
I'm personally hoping for the backlit screen. If it is backlit I'm definitely getting a MacBook Air, if it's not backlit I'm going to have to weigh up pros and cons of an Air vs a Pro.

Lol, mea culpa. I think you know I meant keyboard. :p

dagaz
20th July 2011, 08:42 PM
Lol, mea culpa. I think you know I meant keyboard. :p

Doh! That's what I get for posting on MacTalk while watching Extras on DVD at the same time.

dagaz
21st July 2011, 04:08 PM

2) thunderbolt
3) backlit keyboard

Alright now they're actually updated here's the score:

1) correct
2) correct
3) correct!
4) mostly correct, was upgraded to 4GB for all except the base 11"
5) wrong
6) correct

So I make that 4˝ out of 6. Not bad. The backlit keyboard is probably going to sway me to the 2nd tier 11" model, now I just need to figure if I can live with a 128 GB hard drive.