PDA

View Full Version : NAS Visibility on Network

nibbles
16th April 2011, 09:05 PM
Bit of a different kind of question but i'll ask, maybe somebody will know. I bought a WD My Book World 1tb, to be used to backup my iMac via gigabit ethernet.

I have the WD drive connected directly to my iMac via ethernet, this is because I can only connect to the home network (and internet) via N wifi which is far too slow to use the nas, I am able to see the drive an do backups etc fine via direct ethernet. I would also like to be able to backup to the drive from my MacBook, this would require the drive accessible via the main network.

Basically I want the drive connected via ethernet to my iMac and then my iMac placing the WD Drive on the network via its wifi connection to the router for other computers to see. How could I achieve this?

bennettnz
16th April 2011, 09:13 PM
Does your router have a spare Ethernet port? If so it would be much better plugged into that...

nibbles
16th April 2011, 09:17 PM
Nope and this option isn't suitable anyway because I can only connect my iMac to the router via wireless N which is too slow for regular use (i.e not background backups).

Meh 626
16th April 2011, 10:23 PM
Go to System Prefs > Sharing > Turn on Internet Sharing > Share Ethernet Connection to Computers using AirPort. See if this will work.... may require a bit of Finder > Connect to Server (the Server IP being the WD drive) action if your MacBook doesn't automatically detect the networked drive.

nibbles
17th April 2011, 08:12 AM
That might be the go, I was sharing airport to Ethernet but the Other way around might be better. I'll give it a try.

The_Hawk
17th April 2011, 08:15 AM
I do all my TimeMachine backup's via WiFi, the first backup take a little while, but the subsequent ones aren't all that bad unless you have lots of HUUUUGE files you create and need to back up regularly.

Personally I exclude my VM's and my iTunes video files since the video's are converted from something else and the VM's are mostly for testing/tech support anyway.

nibbles
17th April 2011, 08:24 AM
I used to do my MacBook bacup via wifi until this drive, the primary use of this drive isn't for backups so it needs to be plugged in via Ethernet to my iMac to be quick enough for transferring video files frequently. If it was just a backup drive I'd get a switch connected to my router and use over wifi.

EDIT: No dice sharing ethernet to Airport, all it wants to do is create a network.

EDIT: Every time I try to set a static ip in the wd settings it shows up in the sidebar of my iMac but i can't connect, meaning i have to reset its network settings. Any ideas what I should be setting the static ip settings to? mainly the subnet mask.

nibbles
17th April 2011, 03:50 PM
Ok, still no go. When I go to check for update on the WD web-interface it comes up connection refused which leads me to believe the error is to do with the configuration on my iMac.

After some time on their support and trying to get it to work, I am going to return it. The drive is above all slow, to start up, transfer files, everything. I'm thinking i'll buy a 1.5tb wd USB drive and setup sharing the way I used to have it. My only issue now is removing the small amount of data I placed on the drive.