PDA

View Full Version : Good Database for Medical Records ????

benny gsr
9th August 2004, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know or use a good reliable database software that is suitable for medical records on 0sX. Ready made stuff for podiatrists are readily available for PC, however I will not go PC (i love my mac). Are there pro's and con's?

Do these require "setting up" or are they ready to go (where patient records and details can just be typed) As I am also looking at purchasing MYOB account edge (I currently run MYOB First accounts) , is there a DB that will link card files with MYOB (to avoid re typing client details.)

Any help appreciated

Thanks

:)

benny gsr
9th August 2004, 10:46 PM
I just found Filemaker Pro 7 on Apple website,

I should have found it before I asked the question ? Does anyone have any opinions on Filemaker?

Thanks

moo
9th August 2004, 10:48 PM
Hi Benny
A quick look at Mac Products Guide
http://guide.apple.com/au/index.lasso
under "medical" returned 266 records
hth
moo

yinyang
10th August 2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by benny gsr@Aug 9 2004, 10:46 PM
I just found Filemaker Pro 7 on Apple website,

I should have found it before I asked the question ? Does anyone have any opinions on Filemaker?

Thanks
just read an interesting article in australian financial review about a dr (?) john tyler who uses FM7.0 and his mac (lovely picture of a powerbook :) ) to record data about his patients and their treatments for ivf australia - "A sophisticated database is being used to improve the treatment and care of patients at a Sydney fertility clinic"

i tried to link to the website, but the article is a subscription only one, so you'll have to buy the paper!

btw as far as databases are concerned, it's not so much the database, more the gui that allows you to access the records easily, or the ability of the programmer to display the data in a format that you want. i think the benefit of fm7.0 is that it's all there and quite easy (supposedly) to do on your own without programming skills. MySql is free, but you need to know your way around if you're going to utilise it properly. also i would assume that filemaker would support their customers in a similar fashion to myob (have no idea what their support is like, so excuse my assumption if it's a bad one!!), whereas MySql will be developer orientated.

hope that helps!

btw you can try fm7.0 before you buy! (i think for 30 days)

benny gsr
10th August 2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Very helpful

I think FM 7.0 is looking the goods.

I'll give that trial a go.

:) :)

Currawong
10th August 2004, 07:29 PM
Filemaker Pro is the standard database program for Mac OS. It's incredibly powerful and flexible. Taking the time to learn how it works and what you can do with it is entirely worth the effort.

The interface is probably the last remaining example of the old Mac Draw interface - you can create layouts simply by pasting fields, lines and anything else...stretching with the mouse etc etc. Data manipulation is specially excellent for numbers, and data can be drawn from multiple databases.