Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Lost iPad

  1. #1
    iTy
    iTy is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    932

    Default Lost iPad

    Hey all,

    Jut getting over the depression, but I lost my iPad on a train at Chatswood train station approx. 4 weeks ago.

    I put remote wipe on it but it wasn't for at least 8 hrs after the incident.

    When I look on the Find my iPhone/iPad app, it still says remote wipe pending and obviously the location of the iPad is unknown.

    So I'm guessing that who ever ended up with it, knew to connect and restore it straight away.

    Is there another way to try and track it down?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    21

    Default

    There are websites that track lost or stolen iGear serial numbers. I don't think it would help you get it back unless someone checked the serial number in the register, and then decided to give it back.
    Might stop someone like cash converters buying it though.
    It's a pity that find my iPhone/iPad doesn't lock the serial number from a restore.

    Cheers
    Marc

  3. #3
    iTy
    iTy is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattblack59bus View Post
    There are websites that track lost or stolen iGear serial numbers. I don't think it would help you get it back unless someone checked the serial number in the register, and then decided to give it back.
    Might stop someone like cash converters buying it though.
    It's a pity that find my iPhone/iPad doesn't lock the serial number from a restore.

    Cheers
    Marc
    Thanks for that.

    Also I think that there is a hole in the system in that, I didn't have my iPhone with me and had to head back to the hotel room to activate the Find my iPhone/iPad from the MacBook.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    129

    Default

    A friend of mine lost his iPhone but didn't have mobile me. Telstra, however, said that they managed to wipe it from the serial number.

    Surely you could feedback to Apple that they could disable a registered serial number of an ipad on restore and send an email to the last registered email address with re-activation instructions. You could then let Apple know it has been lost or stolen and they would refuse to activate it unless the new owner could produce some kind of proof of transfer or ownership (ideally a receipt signed by the first owner).

    I'm sure it's not that technically easy but there is probably a work around for this.
    MB 13.3 unibody 2.0 GHZ (500G/4G); iPhone 3GS 32G; iPhone 4S 64, iPod nano gen 4 8G; iPod Classic 160G (2007 and 2009); iMac 21.5 3.33MHz 2TB/8G; iPad 1 64/3G, ordered New iPad 64/4G.

  5. #5
    wolfie is offline It's times like this, you need a quarter pounder.

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    i didnt know it was possible to restore and wipe a ipad thats been passcode locked, onto a foreign computer?
    Entertain me!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Geelong, AU
    Posts
    7,402

    Default

    In theory, as all iPods etc basically need to be set up using iTunes, which notes the serial number, Apple COULD build in some kind of theft prevention into the software, that would disable a stolen i-product upon connection.

    But... think of the lost revenue to Apple. How cruel of us to worry about our stolen goods when it would mean a loss of sales in replacement goods to our Overlord.
    From Macintosh Classic to Mac Book Pro... Dark Castle to Halo... Newton to iPad...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    11,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    i didnt know it was possible to restore and wipe a ipad thats been passcode locked, onto a foreign computer?
    DFU or Recovery mode? Just throwing out ideas.

  8. #8
    iTy
    iTy is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skullnbones View Post
    A friend of mine lost his iPhone but didn't have mobile me. Telstra, however, said that they managed to wipe it from the serial number.

    Surely you could feedback to Apple that they could disable a registered serial number of an ipad on restore and send an email to the last registered email address with re-activation instructions. You could then let Apple know it has been lost or stolen and they would refuse to activate it unless the new owner could produce some kind of proof of transfer or ownership (ideally a receipt signed by the first owner).

    I'm sure it's not that technically easy but there is probably a work around for this.
    I'll give that a go tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    11,893

    Default

    Is it a 3G? Report to IMEI to your carrier, or Apple serial to Apple? Worth a shot!

  10. #10
    iTy
    iTy is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    Is it a 3G? Report to IMEI to your carrier, or Apple serial to Apple? Worth a shot!
    It was only WiFi.

    I'll report the serial. As you said, worth a shot. Thanks

  11. #11
    joshodermatt is offline Apple Fanboi.

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Good luck and hope you get it sorted!
     MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 2GB RAM  MacBook 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM (Late 2008)  iPad WiFi + 3G - 32GB  Airport Extreme 802.11n  Apple TV - 160GB  iPhone 4 32GB - Black

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    DFU or Recovery mode? Just throwing out ideas.
    This gets around the passcoding of a device.

    I have a hard time believing that a telco (through apple) could initiate a device wipe of all the information. Though I know they can actively block IMEI's from connecting to the Network if your report it stolen, generally rendering most mobiles useless.

    Wifi iPad though? Sounds like they've Restored and started over. Police report in all things. You never know and they do help.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •