Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15

    Default Connecting iPhone to Car DVD Player

    Hi everyone, i've got an in car dvd player which has an Auxiliary input..can anyone suggest me how I can connect my iPhone to that or is it really possible?

    Cheers.
    MacBook Pro, Web Design, SEO

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Hey, I have the setup in my car, so I can actually watch film clips from my iphone through tv-out.

    You need a AV cable see here

    and connect it to your DVD player and then when you wanna play a song, just select the Aux and press play on your ipod/iphone

    Is that what you meant?
    -Looobz
     MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz Unibody |  MacBook White 2Ghz |  G4 Cube |  iMac G4 |  iPhone3GS Black 32GB

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by looobz View Post
    Hey, I have the setup in my car, so I can actually watch film clips from my iphone through tv-out.

    You need a AV cable see here

    and connect it to your DVD player and then when you wanna play a song, just select the Aux and press play on your ipod/iphone

    Is that what you meant?
    Thanks Looopz.
    So does this cable connect to your Auxiliary input? I've usb input in my DVD as well and I tried to use the usb connector (the one you use to connect your iPhone to your computer) and that didn't work.
    MacBook Pro, Web Design, SEO

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nextg View Post
    Thanks Looopz.
    So does this cable connect to your Auxiliary input? I've usb input in my DVD as well and I tried to use the usb connector (the one you use to connect your iPhone to your computer) and that didn't work.
    No worrie's!

    Yeah It definatly dosn't work through USB unless your DVD player actually has iPOD support.

    It will definatly work through the AV cable, and because it's got the video out and can watch filmclips and shows on your car dvd assuming you have a screen installed?


    Just match up the AV colours to the AUX IN on your stereo. White TO white, Red TO red etc....
    -Looobz
     MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz Unibody |  MacBook White 2Ghz |  G4 Cube |  iMac G4 |  iPhone3GS Black 32GB

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by looobz View Post
    It will definatly work through the AV cable, and because it's got the video out and can watch filmclips and shows on your car dvd assuming you have a screen installed?
    Cheers mate. I'll give that cable a try. Hopefully that will work. And no, I don't have the scree. I just installed a DVD player without the screen. It's really handy to have a DVD player to go out with lots of songs.

    Now will I need the screen to setup any options when I connect my iPhone? I don't think so. But what do you think mate?
    MacBook Pro, Web Design, SEO

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Nah you wont need it, you can controll it all from your iphone, just turn on TV-Out and it will transmit the sound to the DVD player.

    You could use this cable aswell which plugs in to the headphone jack and splits into a left and right channel but these cables tend to crackle like crazy and make popping sounds when you move them even if you buy an expensive one, so stick with the one I told ya and you will be fine.
    -Looobz
     MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz Unibody |  MacBook White 2Ghz |  G4 Cube |  iMac G4 |  iPhone3GS Black 32GB

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nextg View Post
    Hi everyone, i've got an in car dvd player which has an Auxiliary input..can anyone suggest me how I can connect my iPhone to that or is it really possible?

    Cheers.
    I use this retractable cable you can get on ebay.



    It doesn't charge but I keep a charger in the glove box and a retractable 3.5mm cable and use the headphone output if my phone is getting really low



    Kennsington have a combined charger and lineout solution called the LiquidAUX and so does Belkin


  8. #8
    Cybix's Avatar Cybix is offline burninator!

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    I use: DLO | TransDock with IntelliTune



    DLO Transdock with Intellitune. It has an A/V out port and AUX in port. I do not believe it will let you output video using an iPhone (untested), but audio out def works. I have this, iPhone and a cable for my stereo's aux in. When I travel and get a hire care I take it, it will 'tune' into the radio on the hire car so I don't need an aux cable. It works very well and is very flexible (installation wise)

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybix View Post
    I use: DLO | TransDock with IntelliTune

    DLO Transdock with Intellitune. It has an A/V out port and AUX in port. I do not believe it will let you output video using an iPhone (untested), but audio out def works. I have this, iPhone and a cable for my stereo's aux in. When I travel and get a hire care I take it, it will 'tune' into the radio on the hire car so I don't need an aux cable. It works very well and is very flexible (installation wise)
    No comparison between FM and a direct line out from the iPhone sound wise.

    But you need a player with an AUX IN

  10. #10
    Cods's Avatar Cods is offline Half a cod...

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    389

    Default

    I assume when you say "has an auxiliary input" you mean "has an auxiliary AUDIO input".

    If so, +1 for the Kensington LiquidAux - I picked one up a while back, the Deluxe model that includes a cigarette lighter mount as well as the remote:


    Australian product page here.
    The mount swivels pretty much any which way you like, including landscape, and stalk bends and twists so that you can deconflict the iPhone with any thing on your dash.

    I like the remote, simple and does what you need, no more. However I've put the remote on the handbrake, as I found it annoying on the steering wheel.

    As mista335 said, AUX IN is so, so much better than FM, that IMHO FM is only an option to be considered if you didn't have AUX IN on your car stereo.

    Recommended.
    Cods.
    iPhone 5 Telstra. Current Mini with Fusion drives. MacBook Pro 15" i7 8Gb w/. SSD & HDD. iPad2 64Gb 3G. Newton MessagePad 2100!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •